Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay. Here is what I want to do. I want to come up with a website that my, spread-out, family can log into and post pics and comments and stuff like that. Like a blog or a wiki.
    Which brings me to my question. Should I set up a blog, a wiki, or something else? Also does anyone know of a place to get information on how to do this. I usually use GoDaddy as a host but not sure if they will host a wiki. It also has to be simple enough that my less tech savvy family can use it, which means, no linking to pictures hosted elsewhere.

Any suggestions are of course appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    Here's my suggestion to you ....

Subscribe to a real webhost like (www.cleverdot.com).
    For only about $35 per year (that's $2.50 per month!) you can have
    your own domain name, a real webhost, and tons of features.

They have this thing called "fantastico" ... it installs WordPress, Coppermine,
    and other PHP/MySQL scripts with a click of a button.

You will have to know some CSS/XHTML to customize the scripts, but one click
    and you have WordPress installed for blogging, uploading photos to the blog, etc.

Coppermine is a photo gallery, which is also free.

There are other webhosts out there that use Fantastico, I just thought of
    cleverdot off the top of my head.

Member #
    I love the Coppermine idea. Every suggestion so far has been to have the family members open flikr accounts. But that takes away from the ease of use. I don't think I could teach everyone in my family to link to pics.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    ... and using some CSS and HTML editing, you can customize the
    pages to look like the rest of your website. Change header image,
    background colors, etc. Set up a log-in for each family member and
    also have comments allowed for each photo.

Member #
    @pcbguy
    If you have a shared hosting account with GD then you already have access to Coppermine and WordPress. You can install these via the Value Apps area in your web hosting control panel. They are free to install and they might just meet your needs.

Member #
    Pcbguy,
    How are you doing today my dear friend? (even though we haven't met we can still be friends you know lol.) I have some advice to offer you that might be of some help. So, you want to have a site that you can manage and have your family log onto and post pix and blogs and/or notes and things of that nature huh? WEll, I have a suggestion. What about getting yourself a forum program like this one. I use to run a forum myself and you(as the system admin) can open threads, make some password protected and everything. You can enable pic posting and make posts and replies and everything. Would be perfect if you ask me. kind of a family forum. Just something to consider. Take care,
    war

Member #
    I thought about the forums thing. I keep coming back to the fact that it has to be simple to use. I might be able to pull that off with a forum. I don't know enough PHP though.

Member #
    If you use one of the free forums that GD provides you don't need to know PHP - why don't you just install one and try it out since it's free?

Member #
    I installed Coppermine and it looks like a forum. I think I like 4Images better.

Member #
    The phpBB3 board is free and i just installed it. some guys recommended it to me and I love it. Maybe try it.

Remove Ads