Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi im a newbie trying to start a social networking site like MYSPACE, or friendster, from scratch but am really lost , ive starte teaching myself how to use webdesign programs, i have Dreamweaver, flash, and fireworks 8 i also have adobe, photoshop, illustrator, bridge, indesign, and go live CS2
    Ive heard of ruby rails and also downloaded dolphin, but i want it a certain way to target a certain type of people so if someone can give me sone info on tutorials or other software i should use please reply, and how i setup chat, membership, im, profile, and so on.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    WHY do you want to make a social network site?
    WHO is the audience?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    The first thing you have to do is ask yourself a couple of questions.
    The biggest question is, what are you doing that is different from the rest of the websites?

Member #
    I know what will make it diffrent, what i really need to know is what software i should use, maybe someone has some advice and maybe some reference links, i want it to be like myspace, with profiles, ability for them to add friends and so on....
    Thank You.

Member #
    Hopefully you won't take this too negatively, but if you have to ask then I think you should stop aiming so high to begin with. Have you made web sites before? Do you know XHTML and CSS? Do you have any experience programming? Do you know fundamentals of databases? If you answer no to any of those, then you need to learn about those first. There's no software that's going to make you a community site. Sure there's forum software and a heck of a lot of copy-and-paste scripts for chatting and commenting, but those aren't going to help to much unless you start at the beginning.

Here's my advice, take it or leave it:

* Learn XHTML and CSS

* Learn a server-side language such as PHP or ASP.NET (or Ruby on Rails, since you know what it is)

* Learn database fundamentals (pdf!) (go for SQL Server or PostgreSQL because you'll need all the functionality you can get)

* Learn basic content management (every community site is essentially a giant content management system). This one is tough to find resources for unless you buy a book on the language of your choice. Otherwise you could download a free CMS and try to make sense of it, but that's the harder option.

After all that you should be set to build your community site, but it's just not gonna come together until then. The community site is possible, but it can't be your first project. There are professionals on here who wouldn't want to take on that project. Keep it in your sights, but begin at the beginning.

Member #
    In my opinion the job is too big for one person, especially for someone who is just coming into web design.

If you are going to use a server side language then perhaps ruby on rails would be best as this will cut down on your development time. Be warned though it is a little harder to learn then PHP, furthermore it is far less popular than php.

If i was doing this I would do the following.

Map out your site, your audience, features, how users get around the site etc

Do your research, look into CMS solutions like Joomla etc, web languages, decide what you are going to make your site with.

Get some people in who know what they are doing. Design is very important, especially to get people through the door. If you feel that you can design to this standard then by all means give it a go, otherwise find someone else who can do. The same goes with development. From day 1 you need to program the site correctly, it shouldn't be done on a learning curve or you will be constantly reprogramming your code as you learn new tricks. This is very inefficient.

Set up a forum with your handful or like minded forward thinking designers/developers. Set up an action plan, schedule, delegate tasks.

Build Site.

And most importantly, post it on here for a review

Member #
    Thanks everyone for all your advice they were all very good, ive already been reading up on all kinds of webdesign books and have a few about ruby on rails and php, i will get some books on the other stuff also, i have also started an
    at-home/online webdesign course so i will defenitly be starting other websites first, this is just a project that i defenitely want to do and include in my learning, right now im just putting down all my ideas for this project on paper

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Plan it by all means, because then at least you have your ideas down on paper. Once you've got all your ideas down, you can learn anything you need, such as PHP and databases, and see where you can take it from there.

It would be ideal to have at least one accomplice, as designing a large scale site on your own will be anything but easy. I tried myself, but gave up as I realised there was an increasing list of features I needed to code to make the whole thing secure and user friendly.

Remove Ads