Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    On my website (using Zen Cart) I am having problems with the 404 forwarding. It works as long as the wrong address is like this:

http://webSite.com/index.php?main_page=wrongPage

Is there a way I can make this work so that if a user types in:

http://webSite.com/wrongPage

they are brought to:

http://webSite.com/index.php?main_page=page_not_found

Thanks.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you could probably set up an ErrorPage directive that points it to the appropriate page.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure you could use .htaccess to validate the existence of a URL in a query string. I'm thinking you would have to use PHP to do that, and to show an error page if the requested one doesn't exist. You could then use .htaccess to turn that specific page into a proper 404 error page.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I believe what he was saying was that the software he's using already handles the wrong-querystring situation, but he also wants to handle the actual 404 situation. The ErrorPage directive allows you to specify an alternate URI for when 404s occur, so it should do the trick just fine.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh yeah, I misread the post, thinking that he wanted to rewrite the URL to something friendlier, THEN validate it.

Yeah, I agree with what you say, in that case.

Member #
    I believe what he was saying was that the software he's using already handles the wrong-querystring situation, but he also wants to handle the actual 404 situation.
    Yes, my current software is directing properly. I have .htaccess setup for the error page. But it only works if the URL is typed with the index.php?main_page=blah.

I think you could probably set up an ErrorPage directive that points it to the appropriate page.
    How would I go about that? Is there usually a file that handles this in PHP content management systems? I'm not quite sure what I'd do a search on so any input how to fix this and/or a suggestion for what I could do a search on would be great!

- flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe in .htaccess, you just write:

Code:
    ErrorPage 404 index.php?main_page=page_not_found
    Someone will correct me if my syntax is off... It may not work with GET parameters, I'm not sure. If it doesn't, you can probably use mod_rewrite to take care of that issue.

Member #
    The syntax is correct. It's working correctly with that in the .htaccess file... except when someone fails to type in: index.php?main_page=

If they only type in host.com/wrongPage it brings them to a page the server has. It just says "Not Found".
    - flipjargendy

Remove Ads