Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Speed up

Member #
    I created my website in photoshop and basically sliced it up and used save as html and images. Then changed my code slightly and made it into php.
    My question is, when I go onto my website, it takes a while to loads the images - is there a way I can speed up the process?
    http://www.racemidz.com - so you understand what I mean

Member #
    Hi Wizza
    You should try wrapping the background image in css in fact I would try using css to style the tables rather then just placing jpg images in the tables. I have broadband and its slow to load try to imaging somone who still has dial up.
    Slice then place as background image within css if you dont know css then I would find somone who does.
    Hope that helps

Member #
    Thank you for your response, I think I will just have to find someone who can help me with css then. I mean, i'm a fast learner so once someone shows me how it is done I will possibly pick it up.
    Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think the whole way the site has been designed is the major issue, rather than CSS or not-CSS. Why are you using images to display the site text? As I see it if you weren't doing this the site would load much quicker, because the image of the pitbabes would be cached and would display on each page, whereas at present you have loads and loads of versions of it, some with text, some without etc. etc.

If you made the text into text, as I see it you'd only have a maximum of 5 images on your pages...

1. The pitbabes with rounded edges
    2. "Get an Invite"
    3. "PM Babes"
    4. "Advertise"
    5. "Contact Us"
    6. "Click to enter Racemidz.com"

...there is also the issue of accessibility... how are screen readers etc. going to work when your text is all graphics?

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's a version of your site using text etc. as above... and CSS for the background...

http://www.seanmiller.net/race/

Far quicker...

Sean

Member #
    Yeh really is alot quicker and would love to have the site like that but if you have a look at your version some of the images aren't in the correct place making it look odd to me.. however if there was a fix for that I will defo make it your way, but on an external css sheet

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza
    Yeh really is alot quicker and would love to have the site like that but if you have a look at your version some of the images aren't in the correct place making it look odd to me.. however if there was a fix for that I will defo make it your way, but on an external css sheet
    You need to make those gifs transparent... I couldn't do it with reverse-engineering, but you can surely do so if you set them up like that originally... it won't then look odd.

I can only do so much....

Sean

Member #
    Thanks for your help, I started again...
    I sliced the original PSD into around 4 - 5 different images, and resuse those images on every page. Now I actually have font on their instead of on the images and use iframes aswell.
    I'm not a professional at this but I think its ten times faster now and looking better than before.. what do you think?
    http://www.racemidz.com

Member #
    http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Photo...se-on-the-Web/
    Images are one of the most important parts of web design; they are also one of the most common design flaws on the web. If images arenít used in the correct fashion, they can cause pages to load slowly, use up expensive bandwidth, or even cause an image to timeout and leave a blank spot where the image should be. The bandwidth usage that images cause is typically due to the designer using the wrong format or not compressing the images correctly. For example if all your HTML and content is a total 8k and your images are a total of 112k, that means that every page load is using at least 120k of bandwidth. Divide that by the number of days in a month and youíll usually see that you can only have an average of 142 page views a day, or else youíll run out of bandwidth. Each visitor usually browses 5 to 6 pages before they leave a site; therefore, youíd only be able to serve 23 visitors a day. Which Iím sure isnít anyoneís idea of good traffic. Not to mention those calculations are only based on your average content and layout images, things like downloads and wallpapers eat away at your bandwidth really fast.

The best solution to this problem is to reuse images, and use smaller images which have smaller file sizes. Over the next few parts of this article Iím going to explain what the best image format is, the best image compression scheme, and the best image dimensions to use for the typical website layout.
    Website Designing Agency London UK
    Place1- a professional website design company in london that offers Start-Ups and SMEs quality bespoke 'stand-out' websites designed by design professionals with business intelligence at realistic prices.

http://www.place1.co.uk

Remove Ads