Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,
    I wanted to know if using photoshop to design a website is a good way to go..
    So after we get a .psd file we have to slice it to get a.html... And how simple is that?
    Is it easy to maintain the site wen it is done this way?
    Thanks
    Sharsimroy

Member #
    some will say its the worst way to do it, and really to me its the 2nd worst way, because FrontPage is the worst way.

However, if you are just making a site for fun, than who cares how you build it. If you want to have customers, than using Photoshop to build the site and slice it is the bad way. If you are looking to learn to build websites, start with these: css + xhtml

Member #
    Why? Is it the work involved? Or is it the final look?
    Sharsimroy

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Photoshop is merely a tool. Whether you use it or not has to do with your own preference (many people prefer Fireworks for example) and whether you think you'll even need a graphics editor to begin with. On the other hand, Photoshop is pretyt much "industry standard" for web design (or as standard as you can get in this business).

Here's some opinions on whether to use Photoshop or not:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1...skip-photoshop
    http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2008/jun/0...skip-photoshop
    http://www.airbagindustries.com/arch...ag/drucker.php

As for "how easy" it is to go from PSD -> HTML... well, how long is a piece of string? There's no answer to that question.

Maintainability more depends on how you structure your PSDs and write your code, not necessarily what graphics editor you use.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Simy
    Why? Is it the work involved? Or is it the final look?
    the work involved is easier. Photoshop will make an html file that your able to use. It's cake. The look depends on your Photoshop skills. You can achieve any look in Photoshop. Now, updating a page in the future becomes a problem when you use photoshop, because than you have a tremendous amount of work.

Brak's examples bring up some good points. Yet, it all depends on the application and your goal. What are you building?

Member #
    I am trying to make a corporate website for a friend.
    Thanks for everyones replies
    Sharsimroy

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    There's nothing wrong with using Photoshop to make web graphics, nor is there anything wrong with slices nor Save for Web in Photoshop...unless you use the code it generates. Then you are doing it wrong.

I use Photoshop, including slices, all the time when cutting up creative. Because I write the code by hand anyway, it's not an issue.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    1. You can get away with using slices from photoshop, provided that as filburt1 said, you work with the code.

2. If you are looking to build a whole site in Photoshop, save as html and then upload the files and call it a day, than no, it's not a good idea.

Personally, I like to write everything by hand, it keeps my coding skills up. :classic:

Member #
    I use photoshop all the time for doing layouts. I've actually ditched Fireworks because in the next CS release Fireworks will not be around anymore. Fireworks seems to work faster than photoshop though.

Thing about photoshop is that the HTML it generates is awful. Coding by hand is usually the way to go anyhow. Its also a lot faster too.

The main reason I use photoshop for layouts is because I don't like making websites and then having my clients come back to me saying they don't like they way it looks. Doing mockups in photoshop give me the ability to give them something to look at first before I do the coding.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    On a somewhat related note, I switched from Photoshop CS2 to CS3 at work, mostly because one of our designers is now providing creative made in CS3 and CS2 doesn't like that. I already like the new interface better, most importantly that maximizing a window only maximizes to the edge of the palettes so the scrollbars and the entire image are still viewable. I haven't tried any of the new tools yet, though. I haven't noticed anything new immediately when using Save for Web although I'm betting there's quite a bit new about it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads