Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

I'm taking on my first job for building a store from the ground up. I've been doing a little bit of research, and I've found a few things to implement~ but I'm not sure what else I should include. Aside from SSL Certificates, form validation, and keeping my PHP secure, what other technologies / styles should I incorporate in designing this online store?

Also, can anyone reccomend me a good credit card processing service to use / point me in the right direction to a "how to" to code such a thing?

Thanks~

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would recommend not building your own store.

A lot of people say things like "Keeping my PHP secure" -- but do you know what the entails? Aside from keeping your server & packages up to date, walling in the server appropriately, encoding personal information correctly and config'ing your php to be safe....

There's things like CSRF attacks & XSS injections that take a good amount of architectural experience to avoid. And then the basics, never trusting user input, protecting against mysql injection, etc.

Do you know the laws for your country & state regarding personal information and credit card information? There's very specific rules on what information you can and cannot keep. SSL isn't a catch-all safety net.

A much better solution would be to take an existing open source or paid php codebase and modify it to what you need.

As for what kind of payment gateway, that depends a lot on the volume of your sales (near & far future).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Look at something like http://www.oscommerce.com I agree with Brak, coding your own store from the ground up is not an exercise for the faint hearted, or the strong hearted really.

Member #
    I would say avoid building your own store. Also avoid OSCommerce. It was good once but the only reason why it was good was because it was the only free and scalable E-Commerce software about.

Now there is a far better solution.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/

Member #
    haha I know this isn't helpful at all, but make sure you get PayPal in there. It's always annoying to have to have no PayPal option when all your money's in there.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Jason,

I checked out magentocommerce - looks like an amazing product! Very cool that they also offer support packages. That makes it a viable commercial product!

- Steve

Member #
    To back up the magento software. Here is a store using it.

http://www.homeandglory.co.uk/

Remove Ads