Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am a print graphic designer and have just started dabbling into web design. I have successfully taught myself basic html and of course designing the interface. These are two sites that I have done so far www.parplussupplies.com and my personal site www.oliverdesigns.com just to give an idea of the level I am at in the game.

I have a personal project that I am working on and need some advice/help. This site will need a search feature where visitors will search a database and be able to narrow down their search from 1 to 4 variables. Example: search by state or alphabetical order or size, or two or three variable etc, etc.

Is this doable by a novice and if so can anyone give me a basic outline of how this works in terms of how and where do I put the data and possible a link to a code that will access this data. I did a little bit of research on mysql and php but still hasnít grasp it fully yet.

Member #
    Sorry guys my site is actually www.olivergraphicdesigns.com

Member #
    To write a decent search function you require a fairly decent grounding in PHP. Can't you use google site search? Or pay someone with the know how to drum something up for you?

Member #
    It will be a search from my specifically gathered list and details, not a general search. So google woulgnt be ideal.
    Can you or anyone give me an idea of what something like this would cost me for someone to drum up - thanks

Member #
    Creating a search function isn't all that difficult.

// SQL select data from table.
    // PHP loop through data.

If you gave me the tables and columns I could write you a simple search script.

The issue arises on several levels.
    1) Validation - Is the user input correct? What happens if it is incorrect? Is the user input malicious?
    2) Multiple Searches - If a person wants to bring down a site by doing lots of queries one of the most effective way to do it is by searching different terms over and over again.

If you site will be small something homemade, assuming it has validation, will be OK. If you are making something bigger then you will want to bring in a professional.

If you have a template I see no reason why you cannot outsource this to the fareast for $100, maybe less. A westerner would probably charge a little more.

Member #
    Database
    NAME LOCATION BEACH POOL DESCRIPTION
    hotel 1 south yes no Excelent bch view....
    hotel 2 north no yes All inclusice.......
    hotel 3 central yes yes Hiden gem........
    list of about 1000 hotel in a small island
    a visitor would search using about 4 check or list box to narrow their search
    or just use one to get a broader result.
    eg: COAST: north POOL: (Y) BEACH ( ) OTHER ( ) ETC ( )
    Then they would get a list of hotel on the NORTH coast with POOL
    I would be willing to pay but right now I am trying to get the site to work up to a basic point myself and then bring in someone to bring it up to a real road ready standard like security, SEO etc. However if this turns out to be more work expected give me a cost

Member #
    sorry about the table...let see again

HOTELNAME - LOCATION - BEACH - POOL - DESCRIPTION
    hotel 1 -----------south -------yes ------no ---- Excelent bch view....
    hotel 2 -----------north --------no -----yes ----All inclusice.......
    hotel 3 ----------central -------yes -----yes ----Hiden gem........
    hotel 4
    hotel 5

Member #
    ok here is an example http://www.villasinjamaica.com/

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hey patto, you're close to us (Transio) - we're in Downtown Miami. In answer to your original question - it's a good project for you to learn, if that's what you're looking to do with it. If you're looking tos tart a biz, you should look at it from a management perspective and have a professional devleoper do it.

Member #
    Thanks for your advice Steve. I do have high expectation for this site but for now I have to keep it on a personal level as I cannot afford to hire a professional. And I also want to use it as an opportunity to learn and develop myself as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads