Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello All! I was hired to do some updates on a site. I took the job not knowing it was a site built using word press. All of my experience is with html and using Dream Weaver, I have never worked with Word Press. I have tried to look for the index.html file in the root folder and could not find it. The updates are a number of small changes I need to make so we can target a certain key phase and make the home page a lot more search engine friendly. Is the index file for the home page in another folder? Is it under a another name? I tried looking at each html file and could not find the home page. Some one please help!

Member #
    While I am not sure of the correct filename, you should be aware that Wordpress is blogging software. What I mean by that is that a lot of the content you see is generated/pulled from a Database and all you and the websites visitors will see are the aftermath of the generation.

Saying that, there should be a file which is the "default" file if you like. By that I mean when you go to www.anydomain.com the server looks for a certain file (normally index.extension such as index.html, index.php etc)

So I would suggest you look for files name one of the following

• index.php (Wordpress is written in PHP)
    • main.php/.html
    • default.php/.html
    • home.php/.html

If you are still stuck provide us with the link and we will have a look.

Remember though, depending on what the client wants you may need to make the updates via Wordpress and not through the files.

Member #
    Do you even know HTML?

I have 2 concerns. Firstly you took a job without even knowing what it was about. How did you do that?

Secondly you are having so much trouble working on Wordpress templates... 1 minute on the Wordpress site would answer your question.

/root/wp-content/themes/theme-name/

index.php usually displays the home page. This will almost certainly make use of header/footer files and probably will make use of a sidebar file.

Open up the files and edit them.

I get the feeling you are a WYSIWYG kinda guy. If this is the case you are probably going to be up a creek without a paddle. You are going to need to hand code any changes.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    I'm guessing that targeting key phrases isn't going to help with SEO.
    With a blog or most any CMS systems, the content is ever-changing.

Provide a site with good information, good content, and lots of visitors.
    Count on visitors to put links to your site from other sites and other conversations.

WordPress is based on Social Networking.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    I'm guessing that targeting key phrases isn't going to help with SEO.
    With a blog or most any CMS systems, the content is ever-changing.

Provide a site with good information, good content, and lots of visitors.
    Count on visitors to put links to your site from other sites and other conversations.

WordPress is based on Social Networking.
    Well said. This should answer your concern niconax.

On-page optimization wouldn't be of any help for WP or any blogging software. Instead, focus on your contents and work with off-page optimization or link building.

And to drive traffic for the site, submit it to social networking sites or blog directory sites.
    Symmetri Design Solutions
    Custom WordPress Designers/Developers

Remove Ads