Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Non-developer here with a new start-up. I know that a lump-sum, all-encompassing flat fee for a website/application isnít practical.
    However, Iíve read the threads about devalued programmer fees, so could you guys help me figure how best to estimate the cost (or at least a decent range) of having a website/app designed and developed?
    As someone with limited technical knowledge, trying to budget for web development is a black hole of confusionÖand given that the company is a website, thatís a problem in writing even semi-accurate proformas.
    The site needs to act as a subscriber-based e-commerce site like Ebay, Amazon or Etsy with store subscriptions for clients, a social networking aspect, and a CMS.
    What is the general financial range I need to be thinking about?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    once you start getting into subscriber sites like that, your talking a whole different set of skills.

dont confuse a web designer with a web programmer, although usually they need to have both skill-sets to be good.

I currently make $20/hr as a junior developer doing sites with backends and the current project were working on was a $16,000 contract. dont let the number scare you, look around for estimates

check out
    www.rentacoder.com

You can post your project specs and designers can bid on it.

Id suggest meeting with different designers and developers and sitting down with them with a list of specs. Its hard to gauge a price from "i want a website with subscribers".

Usually on craigslist when i look for some website jobs they say "simple site 5-10 pages" but then they want to be able to edit themselves (this involves some CMS integration , or designing a customer CMS for that site), then they want to be able to do e-commerce, then they want to be able to have people subscribe to mailing lists....

Get a paper, write down EXACTLY what you want and thats probably your best starting point gluck

also, as a non developer dont forget about aspects like maintenance, updating, editing (i know u mentioned CMS)

but ya like i said i make 20$/hr, and i JUST graduated from college for 3yrs, your looking at hourly rates of $20-$40? That would be my estimate, and a site like that could range from 5,000-20,000 depending on how much you want done and how well u want it done

Remove Ads