Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a client that publishes a magazine. They have a need for people to be able to easily send them large files (ad mockups and such). They have try yousendit and similar services but want something easier for their customers to utilize. The transferred files are quite large in most cases (100mb+)

I've been giving this some thought, and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. It needs to be simpler for the end user than using an FTP client. And with PHP I'd have to worry about execution times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I'm not quite sure about this, but the file upload limit for Perl is way high ...
    whereas, PHP is usually configured for a max-filesize which is low, and execute time.

It might be worth experimenting with a Perl file upload script ... which most
    people incorrectly call CGI. Perl scripts are stored in your cgi-bin directory.
    Even if you just do a simple upload test with the most basic script, just to
    see if it works.

I wouldn't (or shouldn't) steer anyone from this forum to another, but in this case
    it might be good to ask Perl questions here, so I'll break that rule and offer this link ...
    http://www.codingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

There are some Perl experts on that forum that are very good Perl programmers.

Member #
    Thanks much...PERL looks promising. I did a quick google search and came up with some good info. I found a free little script to play with as well.

Member #
    Well the PERL solution seems to be the ticket. But now I can't find a host that will allow the large upload size without going to a dedicated server (which is out of the budget).

It looks like FTP may be the only answer.

Member #
    Anyone have an experience with bluehost?

They do not have a file size limit just CPU limitations. They allow up to 20 concurrent processes and 50% cpu time per minute which they said equates to 180 seconds. (I don't understand that bit.) Basically they just told me that it was a fairly high CPU limitation in comparison with other hosts. They also have a 5 minute execution time limit but that is waived if you get a dedicated ip.

It sounds like it will work for what I need. Anyone with more server experience have anything to add about that?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    PHP allows for about as much as any host and PHP is only slow from all the linking and funtion and class calls. try a simple PHP without calling functions or classes. just a streamline script. i use php gd to upload and resize. 6mb pics down to kb and displayd in a fraction of a second.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads