Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all
    I am currently bidding on a contract for a small town (20k pop) chamber of commerce. The bid will include Pricing the following:
    Most likely include 50 pages
    Include a property database
    Must be built in CMS
    Must include staff training to maintain/edit
    Thats all the email stated. I am completetly confident in my ability to be able to do this job, I just want to hear some numbers of what other users would charge to design/code a site like this. I will later keep you guys posted of my final bid as I submit it on friday.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    not sure. details are lacking for a bid. i would split them up into hourly value vs real value. the value of the site, does it make money of informative only. what type of CMS and are they willing to stick to their guns when it doesnt produce what they want. a CMS will not tie into a database for you so dont forget the time to tie that in. then the going rate for training employees in entry level IT. i am still very new to the design field but i intend to avoid the bottom dollar market so my opinion has a slant.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Hey thanks so much for the response. I am calling the place to ask for more details on several issues that I have with the project. If you would check back tomorrow evening and I will post some more details.
    Thanks again for your opinion so far.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's no way you can bid a job with that little tidbit of info! Even for a $500 site I sit with them for at least an hour to find out exactly what they want. Have you talked to these people? This is how you could get burned. You submit a bid and end up doing a ton of work resulting in $10/hour. Be professional and ask them for a consultation, then give them a bid. The more professional you are, the more likely they will pick you. Good Luck!

Member #
    So i had a consultation with these guys and basically the Proposed property database can really be a simple incorporation from the CMS. They weren't incorporating an existing database, but just wanted to be able to go in and have a searchable area of properties in the area, all of which can be implemented w/ CMS. Im looking at Drupal and have some experience with it, and it seems like I could design a very nice looking site that was still database driven. So all we are looking at here is 50 pages of insertion after the general design and some small IT training to show them "hey this is how you insert a page in drupal".

Let me know what u guys think, The person on the phone, recgonized that this was simply a proposal and not a hard set bid saying " We just want to know if this is a 3k, 5k, or 15k, job"

Thanks for your help. Im calculating my time costs now and will let you know what I think I will charge after i hear back from some of you.

Member #
    Well i ended up charging about 4000 for the bid.

This includes:
    Drupal database for client updating
    General design of the site
    50 pages of content
    Training for 1-2 people to explain how to use drupal

Remove Ads