Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Which is best to use to design a site in? What do most people prefer?

Thanks

Member #
    If you're a noob like me, lol...I'd say Dreamweaver or GoLive but if you're hardcore then I get the sense that most people on here will say you should handcode it.

I'm gonna scurry now, before people bombard me w/ even more reasons to learn how to code by hand.

What kind of site do you want to design anyway?

I didnt know you could design a website in photoshop btw, I only use that to resize my images...and whats fireworks?

Member #
    Yes, I'm a noob to Web Design. I have CS4 and really like Dreamweaver. I design my art in photoshop. I see more design done in Fireworks, but never used it. I have the feeling Fireworks might be a good transition don't know why. I wanted to see what the experts say.

I agree with your thoughts about this forum and coding. I respect coding, but I have to concentrate on what I can get done or I'll won't get anything done. For now I'll let Dreamweaver do the coding and I'll absorb what I can as I go.

I'm doing an Interiror design site for my sister.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryJo
    Yes, I'm a noob to Web Design. I have CS4 and really like Dreamweaver. I design my art in photoshop. I see more design done in Fireworks, but never used it. I have the feeling Fireworks might be a good transition don't know why. I wanted to see what the experts say.

I agree with your thoughts about this forum and coding. I respect coding, but I have to concentrate on what I can get done or I'll won't get anything done. For now I'll let Dreamweaver do the coding and I'll absorb what I can as I go.

I'm doing an Interiror design site for my sister.
    Exactly, I had one guy tell me to use PHP and another guy tellin' me to use CSS's and I'm like: "dude's...look at my wdf tag, it says NOOB" lol...I'm bangin' my head against the wall just tryin' to get my frames to load and link they way I want them too...sigh.

here's what I've done so far if you wanna check it out..

www.mandrakestudios.com

p.s being a noob sucks...:-(

Member #
    I am more familiar with Photoshop than Fireworks, but Fireworks does some things better than PS. Fireworks has better image optimization (for web, so pages load as fast as possible), and fireworks can be used with PNG 8 to create transparent images that work in IE6. You guys need to go to W3Schools. Yes I'm gonna say it. You need to learn how to code by hand. You need to know what it is that Dreamweaver is doing in order to streamline your code. DW and other WYSIWYG editors add a lot of extraneous code (again, causing pages to load slower than they have to). And you need to know what works with what in order to debug your code when things dont render correctly in different browsers.
    And you also need to remember that we all started as noobs at some point, so if people act like you're dumb because you don't know all the terminology...remind them of that.
    Photoshop and Fireworks can be used, with the drawing tools and shape tools, to create an entire website in image form. Then you have slice and figure what absolutely has to be image-based and what can be recreated with CSS, and use DW or code by hand using those images to recreate the site with HTML/CSS.
    PS is soooooo much more than a picture editor!
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    I agree with you about know what is happening behind the scene. I am taking an HTML class at night and I like it. It is a lot of information and can be frustrating. I know if I keep going I'll look back one day and marvel at what I can do by hand. Thanks for the encouragement and the understanding for us noob's.

Also, thanks for the thoughts about Fireworks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Remove Ads