Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    I will have a "product of the week" page on my website. Of course every week there will be a different product and the length of descriptions, paragrpahs, technical data, number and size of pictures, videos will all vary every week.

I can do this easily in word or frontpage etc... and save it as an htm file and include it in wherever I want...

But I want these files to be stored in an organized manner. Also, depending on the type of product, I want just the title and description to appear on its specific product category page as well, as "the latest product of the week from this category"... ALso I like these files to be searchable later. So, based on this it looks to me like I would put the data in a mysql database and then display with php in anywehre I want...ANd I know enough php to do that... But my question is, if I do that, then I wouldn't be as flexible as displaying everything in any format I want every week (as there is different product each week, things to be display will vary greatly from one file to another).

So how should I approach this? If I do it in word or frontpage, it is much easier to compose and display, but I will have to upload a separate htm file every week. In this case searchability and organizing by category appears tougher... If I do it in php, then searchability and organization will be much easier, but then I will not have as much flexibility in displaying what I want how I want differently every week. Please advise....

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    can you elaborate on the extent of varied change in the content, how many and what types of content. further how much do you allow per page.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    the content is just simple text to describe product, may be a few paragraphs for different aspects... tables to give technical data in some cases, display a few pictures and / or videos about the product. Since each product is different and each time the depth of info I can get will vary, the content will vary

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    PHP

use if to handle potential sql data without error

use a form to upload images and textarea for whatever

mkdir and create a new html doc with ap header, send both images and new html to same dir. then just specify the layout for text and images with a single dynamic page for each link or search.

i have created the same thing you are talking about but it will give a generic layout for all links. just a matter of volume.

if you want to change the layout each time try a random css include.

Member #
    how do you upload image via form? i thought i need ftp. can you describe a little?
    also is the the general way of doing pages with changing content (changing text, images, videos etc..)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    <input name='new_image' id='new_image' type='file' />

will give you that bar that has the browse button and file path field

Member #
    thanks. by this do you mean uploading image to mysql database via the form, instead of uploading the image to the web directory via ftp?
    also can you put in images to mysql database? is this how?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    to do any of the above mentioned you will need to pick up some server side scripting language. we can all help you along the way but you will have to do some research to get started. i simply dont have what it takes to do a hand hold class on php. but when you are stuck, this is the place to ask.

Member #
    ok, no, i know some php but just asking where do you load the image with <input name='new_image' id='new_image' type='file' />
    I mean, when you use this, where does the image go? this is my question....
    (before i assumed you meant to use this code within a php program, which apparently i was wrong.)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i use php copy to place it in a folder then use a dynamic script to fill the page with the images from the folder. you will have to use continue; to escape the" .. " and " . " so you dont get annoying blips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads