Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hello, I know this isn't finished but I am developing this protoype using rapid application development. Where one part of the site is created, tested and given feedback in order to make another prototype better than the last one.
    The main aim is to keep the site simple, easy to use but also easier to maintain as it is about the growing trend of Technology. I have used the logo in photoshop, therefore if another developer needed to change 2009 to 2010 he could go into photoshop and edit the text in the text box and save it,

The site is aimed at older people who have visual or cognitive impairment.
    I have put the links in the top frame, however I do think that the text is too big, but if you would like to say yes its too big, then say so,
    I got bad feedback from another forum who were unpleasant to me, I think it was because I forgot to take me name of the first slide. I have ditched powerpoint as a comment was made, that no one uses power point.
    Please be constructive
    Attachment 3127

it is a prototype of what could be a website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Text (except maybe the banner) should be text, not graphics.
    You can make text really large. You can also make it so the user
    can resize the text however they want.

Once a text size is determined by the user, the setting can be saved
    as a cookie so they will see it the same every time.

The brown is not my favorite color, but that's your preference I guess.

For future references to your web site, it would be best if we could
    see it online, as you could have some browser compatibility issues ...
    We can help spot those for you.

EDIT:
    I wonder if you will go back to like 1930 ... as some technology
    actually have it's roots way back then. Getting stories and input
    from 70+ agers would be cool. I am from the transistor age (1960's).

Member #
    Thanks, I am considering going back, I spent months researching about Moore's Law and technology that evolved. Which is what I want to add to the website.

I will probably post a link in fortnights time, It will have to be a subdomain as it is a prototype. But I think I am getting somewhere.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I would place a CSS switcher using javascript or ajax that the user could make the text size larger or smaller at their whelm.

Just a thought, that way if you don't have visual or cognitive impairments you're eyes wouldn't bleed looking at the site ;-) and that way maybe a teenager would go to the site for their grandparent... Ever try and give your kid's friend one of those "elderly" phones with the huge buttons and say, "Here, call you mom". My kid took about as much offense to that as he would if I broke out into song about my sex life. True story.

Simply put, you're going to loose some visitors if there isn't an option to tone that down a bit... seriously.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    thanks, I did mention to my tutors that young people will also use it to find infomrstion for grandparents, uncles, but they wouldn't believe me.
    I will add a switcher to change text size/ ai tone it down, is a definate yes

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Jen ...

I know it's really good to learn XHTML and CSS by hand, a good experience ...
    and some people don't like CSS templates ... but I recommend you use Google
    to find some free CSS template websites and look for a template that might
    appeal to you. You would download that and customize the graphics and content
    for your own use. I think you'll be amazed at the templates you find ... and will
    find something that looks appealing to your users (of all ages, by the way).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Cracking open someone else's templates and tailoring it for your own taste is some of the best ways to learn CSS/XHTML (in my opinion) because it gives you the opportunity to experience different scripting styles as well as a pre-made guide for you and something to fall back on for contenuity should the need arrise.

Now, using Dreamweaver or FrontPage to develop your web page, I'd high suggest that you leave those alone unless you're just looking for some "gettem up there quick" type sites -- but bottom line, they monk up the code like you wouldn't believe (even DreamWeaver) unless you use DreamWeaver to style by hand which I use to do for the numbering system and syntax highlighting until someone showed me NotePad++ (Best code editing software for windows that can be found and its free btw). Now days, all my styles and themes are done in NotePad++.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    Thankyou for the information. I have started editing a free CSS template and the homepage looks miles better than the one in frames. CSS is easy to undertand and I am getting the hand of coding, I am using notpad as it helps me to practice and alter the code to the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny[MLWA]
    Cracking open someone else's templates and tailoring it for your own taste is some of the best ways to learn CSS/XHTML (in my opinion) because it gives you the opportunity to experience different scripting styles as well as a pre-made guide for you and something to fall back on for contenuity should the need arrise.

Now, using Dreamweaver or FrontPage to develop your web page, I'd high suggest that you leave those alone unless you're just looking for some "gettem up there quick" type sites -- but bottom line, they monk up the code like you wouldn't believe (even DreamWeaver) unless you use DreamWeaver to style by hand which I use to do for the numbering system and syntax highlighting until someone showed me NotePad++ (Best code editing software for windows that can be found and its free btw). Now days, all my styles and themes are done in NotePad++.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Jennifer ...

You can also use this free Notepad++:
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Very nice for editing scripts and files.
    Color highlights, line numbering, and it's free.

Remove Ads