Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am currently converting a website from Frames/Tables to CSS and changing the design at the same time. I have managed to get past most of my problems up to now by using books & searching the Internet but I now need a bit of specific guidance.

The website is for the local Lads & Girls Clubs and I would like to do a page where I have a list of all the clubs from a pull down select button at the top/left of the page (which I have already managed to create) and, when selecting the club name, details of the club appear at the right of the page, address/opening times etc. The page would default to details of the actual Clubs Federation rather than a specific club.

Does anybody know of a free PHP or Javascript which would allow this, maybe gathering the information from a MySQL database? I would prefer not to create an individual page for each club and have the select option point to the HTML.

As the Clubs Federation is a charity I am unable to pay to have a script written specially.

Apologies if the post is a bit long, or the subject lacking in detail, but I wasn't sure how to explain my requirements in less space.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I'm thinking this might be a Javascripting thing (onclick)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    this can be done with php yes. put an iframe in the place you want the info to show, i would use a blank in the iframe for initial page load so the space isnt empty then set the action of the form to the same page you are on and add target= to the form perameters.

php & iframe

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Thanks Dorky.

I was hoping there may have been a script written that would do what I want but your reply definitely points me in the right direction. i'm sure I will be able to find a form script that I can use inside an iframe like you suggest.

I've no knowledge with writing php, at the moment, but I'm trying to expand my skills quite a bit by learning CSS, PHP & MySQL. :rambo: I'm certainly using Google to the full at the moment. :ichatwink:

Keith

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Keith,
    If you wish to try the <iframe> method, you don't need to use PHP or Javascripting.

Create a few separate simple HTML pages, which will be the content of the <iframe>.
    As simple as:
    <html>
    <body>
    This is a default paragraph to appear in the frame
    </body>
    </html>

Save it as "default.html", then create a bunch of others and name them other things.

Like, "club1.html" ...
    <html>
    <body>
    Club 1<br>
    Address blah blah <br>
    Times blah blah<br>
    </body>
    </html>

Put an <iframe> on your page where you want it to appear and put the
    "default" URL in for the default page ... like this ....

<iframe name='frame1' src='default.html' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' style='width:300px; height:400px; margin-left:10px;' /></iframe>

Now, every link will target the <iframe> and display the correct .html file
    inside of the <iframe> ... like this ...

<a href="club1.html" target="frame1"> click for Club 1 info </a>

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i feel you man ive been at the php for a sec now. harder then css for sure but well worth it.

and yeah ml is spot on, i have no idea what lead me to the overkill solution.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Keith ...

An added addition to that ... to stick in the back of your mind ....

A PHP project for you ...
    You could use TinyMCE or some other online editor to allow your Club owners
    to update their own HTML page ... example "club1.html". They could update it
    online on your website and the changes would appear automatic within <iframe>.

A project to do after you get it working ... would give control to your clients.

Member #
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the iframe & html option, at least to start with, as it will be the easiest way to get it set up and running. Gives me a bit longer to get to grips with CSS as well before stretching out further. :ichatwink:

I also like the suggestion for the extra project which could be a useful addition to the site in the future.

Remove Ads