Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi folks,

I've got a customer interested in adding a live webcam feed to their barbers shop website.

Anyone got any ideas where ideally to start!!! i've been searching and found some products but they vary so much in price and what they do that i'm confusing myself with wondering how best to tackle it!!!

They want it (initially anyway) to be just the one webcam (built into their pc) dishing out the feed. however i can see it growing to have a cam at each chair in the barbers shop for watching the staff while they work

thanks in advance anyone that can shed any light on this

oh by the way the ones i've been checking out are broadcam which doesn't feed live onto a webpage on the site but in a separate browser window

the other would be some sort of flash solution using flash comm server then a flash item on a specific webpage picking up the feed which would have to go through a special hosting company (think this is the right jist of how this would work!)

the other solution was a 'bespoke-ish' solution from a media company (streamuk.com)

best regards and thanks in advance for any help on this

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    First of all, I would research the idea of putting customers live photos online,
    while they're getting their hair cut. I think there might be some privacy issues there.

You have 2 camera options ... a live feed (like video), which takes a ton of
    processing and bandwidth, or snapshot feeds (maybe once per minute)?

The snapshots are easier to deal with.

You can get wireless cameras that each have their own IP address.
    A program running on your PC goes to the camera(s) and grabs the last image.
    It then uses a built-in FTP (file transfer protocol) to upload them to your
    online website. Your PC needs to always be running, and always connected
    to the internet.

I think you'll run into a variety of cameras, but most of the wireless ones come
    with the software needed to grab the photos. The variations between the cameras
    will be the software. It's that software that processes the camera images at a
    given interval and uploads them via FTP to your website.

Adding multiple cameras could be trickier, but I imagine it's done quite often.

This might be a better explanation ... some things to explore, since I'm not really
    an expert at webcams:
    http://www.pickyguide.com/computers_...ams_guide.html

Member #
    thanks for your quick reply, i've made my client aware of the legality of providing live feed of customers and the possible issue of seriously increased costs for increased bandwidth usage!!

broadcam seems the best option for her just now i think and if it proves popular she can look at upgrading the system to something more appropriate.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Blogtv.com, stickam.com, justin.tv, uslivestream.com, ustream.tv. all free.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You'd have to stream the data from the barber shop to the web server to be honest... Best way to do that is to set up a stream engine in the barber shop, and pull in the video from there.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Remove Ads