Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi people.
    I'm in a real hot situation right now and really would like some answers plus some general tips and advice...

Baaaasically I am starting a freelance career in 3D animation and Visual Effects. I've been working on a showreel and decided to get a website up for which to have the showreel on.
    I designed the look of the website myself in Photoshop and also set out the navigation and the like... However Web Design really isn't my forte' so I decided it would be best to get my friend to actually build the site in CSS and HTML. So I basically provided him with all my instructions and pictures of what I wanted it to look like and said 'make this!' :rambo:.
    It is a really simple site... Here are some pictures of the main pages...
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...g/HomePage.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ReelPage-1.jpg

As you can see I went for a really simple straightforward design... Nothing too spectacular and really only 4 pages (a few more for the extra options to view the video + an image gallery) so not many.

So anyhows my friend is a student and for the past 6 or so months has been working on this site in his spare time... I told him there was no hurry as I had to make my showreel and wouldn't need the site till that is complete.
    However my friend rang me up today and said that for the website he would charge about 450 - 500!!! (Yeah I live in the UK so it's pounds not dollars)

I really wasn't expecting him to charge so much for it... Afterall he's only a student, the site is very small and simple not requiring any fancy code (only CSS and HTML really)... Nor did I require the site by any strict deadline, and I designed the whole graphical look of it myself providing him with lots and lots of instructions... 450-500 price range seems extremely steep for such a task...

So I am really not sure what to do now.... I told him I would have a look at my finances. I know for sure there's no way I can afford such a price without digging into some saving fund or something (I've only just stopped being a student myself). But that aside the whole price range he said seems WAY off target to me...
    As Web Designers, what seems like a reasonable price to you? And what do oyu suggest I do?
    Look forward to hearing your responces.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    That does seem kind of high to me ... for a fairly simple site.
    I guess he might be assuming you want a way to upload and manage all of the
    photos and videos with an admin page (online)? That takes a bit more time and
    PHP experience to do. I would post the same thread on the section of this forum
    where you can hire a freelancer. I'll bet someone could easily beat that price.

http://www.webdesignforums.net/request_a_service_183/

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    500 = $818...

Yeah that's high. I have found that a simple 4 or 5 page static site deserves about $400-$500. But that's with me doing all the graphics and layout. On the other hand, I actually had a client design their site in PS and send me the pieces to layout and organize, then there were changes to color here and there and more changes to this and that. In the end, I think I spent more time doing it that way than if I did it all myself. So the fact that you are supplying the graphics doesn't make a whole lot of difference in price, at least with my one experience doing it that way. A lot of time is spent on a site just getting the layout to work and behave the way it needs to be.

With all that said, it still shouldn't go much more that $450 to $500 (US currency).

What is a showreel anyway?

Member #
    Question....since u r doing a 3d modeling and visual effects...shouldn't your website actually have some visual effects? Something a lil more exciting then a white background.

Member #
    I agree with you all in that 400-500 dollars for a 4 page website that was already designed (forget about how simple it is) is ridiculous. We charge 400-500 dollars for high quality custom designed websites. I would tell you "friend" you don't have that kind of money and go elsewhere. But I do agree with the last statement I don't feel that your website is going to sell clients to want to use you. I think that you should spend that 400-500 dollars to get a professional to do it and you can save money by doing the 3d animation and flash part of the website. I do agree that if you're going to be doing 3d animation then you should be putting some examples on your website. We have a 3d animator and 3d modeler so if you need any help please just contact me. My email is adagostino@blackrhinosolutions.com.

My advice is to ditch the design and ditch your friend Hope that helped

Remove Ads