Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,

I'm working for a client who would like to add the ability to upload videos to their website through the CMS we built them.

The clips will be uploaded as .mov files and then I need to convert them to .flv during the upload process.

Trouble is I have no idea how to do this and the more I look in to it the more it seems we're not going to be able to do it. I've found various packages that can do it, but I don't think I can use them with our shared hosting accounts. I think this would be perfect, but I don't have the rights to install it - http://www.sothinkmedia.com/flash-vi...x/download.htm .

So to be honnest I've kinda come to the conclusion that it's not going to be possible. But wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's quite possible. I've written software twice now that does it entirely server-side (*nix).

Essentially, use some creatively-constructed command-line arguments to ffmpeg: http://www.ffmpeg.org/ . I'd probably violate an NDA or something with more details but the gist of it is use ffmpeg to take the .mov (or whatever) file and specify an output format of .flv.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    what fibs suggested is good, but why do you need to convert on upload? why not just convert them upload? the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread was Adobe Media Encoder.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    FFmpeg is the way to go. Best media encoder I've ever used. You can do a simple PHP shell exec to call the encoding once the file is uploaded.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm going to have to be honest here, I looked at the ffmpeg site, downloaded the files and was completely confused.

That's not to say I'm not prepared to take the time to sit down and work it out. But before I do, can I just ask if I'm going to be able to do this on a bog-standard shared hosting account, or will I need more privileges than I have?

Diddy - Yep I completly agree, that's the best option, if it was a site I was making for myself that's what I'd do. But I'm trying to make it a one-step operation for end user who knows nothing.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    ffmpeg needs to be compiled; last time I checked, they don't have binary versions, just an SVN trunk of source code. Your host might be able to install it via repositories the OS provides, but ffmpeg is best when compiled from source (supports more formats that way).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads