Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys, I've been out of the game for a while now, but looking to spice up my home network a little. I'd like to start a little home intranet that such that I can have my DVD library on hand at all times, recipes that I like, etc, etc. Eventually I will share my music and use a dynamic DNS service to be able to access this data anywhere.

So, maybe a little too much information, but I'm looking at doing a typical WAMP setup. I was always under the impression that these softwares were always standalone, but a friend mentioned that you could download bundled packages. I did a quick Google and found a bunch.

Long story short, what are some of the more popular WAMP bundles? Reasons? Am I better off installing all of them separate? Is there a larger community for one more than another (I am looking for free open-source).

Either way, if anyone has any opinions on how I should set up my server, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys,

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can do some incredible stuff with a Linux home server, which is what I use. If you use Ubuntu Server, you can during the install choose to include Apache, PHP, and MySQL all preconfigured. You also have access to a lot of open-source software to, for example, generate thumbnails of your video library and transcode between formats.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    For the home AV stuff, check out:
    http://www.avsforum.com/

For a LAMP MCE: http://linuxmce.com/

There's just soooooo many ways you can do it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I would really prefer to keep this box a windows box (I run TVersity on it, among other Windows software I like to use). Having said that, any suggestions for the few Windows users?

Should I just pick one and go with it?

Remove Ads