Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone,

I am a web design newbie, but I'm learning a great deal. I have created a homepage from a template I found online. I adapted it a bit to change the colors and add my logo, etc. Here is what I want to do.

I really like this site, http://www.timgossla.com and what he has set up for the portfolio section.

Here is my site, http://www.waldronla.com
    the site is pretty simple and I would like to keep it that way for easy navigation, but I'm afraid that the base area isn't big enough to suit the type of portfolio that tim has. I tried to fiddle around with the css and html code to expand the box area, but am admittedly lost. any insight is greatly appreciated.

One last note, I did find a picture gallery that would suit my needs called simpleviewer, but I am not sure how to embed it into my site structure, especially since the base of my site doesn't seem big enough to accomodate?

Member #
    That site template you are using is a bit different. Same in look and feel but yours has what we call an IFrame. That Iframe isn't the best solution for search engine optimization and it's something I stay away from.

The look you want is very simple. I like it! But what you should do is create the code where you have a header and footer. Then you can insert any bit of code in the middle section you want, ie your simple viewer and it can be applied to the site template, other page content, event calendars etc...

Are you editing the html code for this site or do you have some form of backend / CMS - content mgmt system?
    Brandon Tran - Asheville Web Design

Member #
    I dislike the example you want to emulate, it's pretty for the designer but not so good for the user. First it's hard to know what's clickable. The thumbnalis are so small as to be useless. And because there's so little information to know what's ahead of the click, it simply introduces more clicks between the user and their goal for no good reason.

It's all "look how good a layout designer I am" and no "here is a compelling reason to hire us to do your landscape work." The word I'd use is overdesigned.

Show a useful thumbnail, fewer if need be. Add in what's not in the end result picture. I'd suggest at least a Before/After picture set. In a couple of pictures I have no earthly idea what was done.

What's the process for developing a landscaping plan? Is it easy and quick? You don't say.

There's one picture of a spa or wading pool next to a large pool, both in front of some structure it's hard to make out. What was done? ...concret work? ...the structure by the pool? ...both/neither? ...did you take the down payment and show up for work in ninety minutes ready to go or was the company unreachable for weeks before finally showing up? You don't say.

Why are your client's services better than cheap lowball bidders? You don't say.

Sorry, the work does NOT speak for itself. There are tons of unhandled objections and missing information. Part of it is because the layout isn't set up for the information needs of potential paying customers with money on the line. Potential customers have real concerns, and the site layout is set up to answer none of them.

It would be worse with that other layout, because there are a number of ways a user could take a wrong turn, end up where they don't want to be, and have no hint as to get to where they want to go.

Related:

Landscape Design :: Case Studies It's a problem / solution format ideal for selling landscape services. And yet it's gimmicky enough to satisfy the more ardent resume driven designer.

Remove Ads