Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am a marketer with very little web design knowledge. I have been asked to lead the development of a new website, which seems to be very complicated (a $20,000+ project).

Does anyone know of some sort of online course on "web design concepts for non-designers"?

The topics I need to be familiar with are:
    server side tech
    mysql
    php
    tomcat
    joomla
    apache

This sounds like alphabet soup to me right now... can anyone help me untangle the letters?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You're brave to take-on a project like that, without a programming background.

Are you just leading the project as a project manager, or are you expected
    to actually dive-in and do some programming?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Holy #@$! You could put a team together without much trouble, but to learn it yourself.... you need a couple of years, seriously.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Are you just leading the project as a project manager, or are you expected to actually dive-in and do some programming?
    I will not have to do any of the programming (thank god), but I do have to know enough about these things to be able to talk intelligently with the programmers in order to a) hire a team and b) know when they aren't doing their job.

It's still a daunting task, but I hope I don't need to actually learn this stuff. It's all fascinating to me and I'd love to, but I just don't have the time....

So, is there anyone out there who can point me to some sort of primer for non-web designers?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroweb99
    Holy #@$! You could put a team together without much trouble, but to learn it yourself.... you need a couple of years, seriously.
    I believe it. I have been trying to do basic research, but it doesn't seem like there is anything "basic" about this stuff. Any help you can provide is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks everyone...

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Hire the scripting guys (or gals) that are programmers only.
    Separately hire the graphic artists. Get people that are focused on their skills.

Look into using "smarty". That allows the programmers and graphic artists
    to work separately, but together at the same time, without each other messing-up
    the other team's stuff.

Here is a good explanation:
    http://www.smarty.net/whyuse.php

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The most important person is going to be the php/ mysql coder. If you have someone fluent in php, then they probably know how to do quite a bit as far as web site building goes. They will know how to understand joomla, apache, login/registration stuff, which all pertain to php/mysql. I don't think there are too many coders that know php but don't know html.

A seperate graphic designer that can do layout with css would be a major plus.

Member #
    OK, thank you. At least I have place to start now. I think you are both right that I need to hire, at minimum, a programmer fluent in php and a separate graphic designer. And thanks for the smarty lead. I'll bring that up in the next team meeting. Great leads... Thank You.

Member #
    If you're not going to do any coding.. Why don't you just hire a professional website design firm to coordinate the project for you. For $20K+ I'm sure you can find a design company that will make your job a lot easier. If you hire freelancers you're just asking for a ton of problems with a large project like this.

Just my opinion :ermm:
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    Professional Website Design | Web Site Hosting
    The Green Speak Network | Live Green Forum

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Rad has a good point ....

I guess $20K is a fairly large budget.
    Using an actual pro site design/developer might be a wise choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads