Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all,

I know there's a lot of knowledge here have experience in web design. I want to create a simple website for my college that I think could be useful to the student body. I've clicked around on google and found some stuff, but I appreciate recommendations. Can anyone point me in a direction where they had success in the past? Tips, tricks, follies? I'm prepared to research this, so suggested online/book reading material would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

AspiringDevelop

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Use an existing system like WordPress for the site, and phpBB for a forum.

Those will require a learning curve, but the programming part is pretty much done.
    It will handle the user logins, online content management, and a bunch of the modern
    social features you need (for students especially).

You can find a webhost that uses "fantastico deluxe" ... which installs those
    programs automatically for you. That makes things a lot easier.

You'll spend your time on working with templates, graphics, and layout changes.
    That's where you can get some students involved.

Member #
    http://www.w3schools.com is good place to learn the basics. If you want to get more advanced and create dynamic websites you can check out the 'PHP5 and MySQL Bible'. By the time you get done with those two sources you should be well equipped to tackle a wide variety of designs.
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    Professional Website Design | Web Site Hosting
    The Green Speak Network | Live Green Forum

Member #
    I agree with mlseim, using those pre-made scripts will make your setup a breeze and be especially helpful with how quickly you want to get online.

Although, if you get a webhost that offers Cpanel, you can install those scripts with one click. (Through Fantastico Deluxe).

Once you have those up and running, you can always go and THEN check out www.w3schools.com, and slowly improve the site.

Happy webmaking .

Member #
    You should check out ZooLoo.com - There you can get your own domain name, host it and use their Web site building tools that require to coding - it's all drag and drop. You can get the free or plus for $30 a year - good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Please save your spamming for another forum. You already have your site in the review section.

Member #
    How is it spamming if I'm replying to threads in which the service can actually be useful? I'd only recommend the site in a situation where it is relevant to the topic of the thread.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry, there are just so many fly by spammers that come thru here and you never hear from them again. Stick around and contribute, then your posts are welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    ambaer,
    Welcome to WDF.
    As Steve says, we here at WDF are obsessed with keeping this forum free of any
    spamming, flaming, or self-serving advertising. You'll probably notice that
    any questionable posts get deleted immediately. When a new member posts links,
    we sort of get excited. Like you, I also recommend some webhosts once in a while.
    So, glad you're here and don't take it personal.

Member #
    No worries - I completely understand where you are coming from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads