Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys, it's nice to finally join this wonderful forum.

I'm a cs graduate from johns hopkins and am thinking of making a shift in career into Web Designing. I have some experience back in college in regards to coding, so i think the aspect of web designing wouldn't be too alien to me.

html and css are pretty much the most important things i need to know and master first right? html is a given, but what are some other things that are a must know? A friend of mine mentioned a few things to me such as css , adobe flex, dotNet, Csharp, expression blend, flash/silverlight....

From your experience... what would be your personal approach to learning web desgining? html first of course, then css ? and what next?

Reason i'm asking this is that i know absolutely nothing about any of these products/technology other than html, and i would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction and maybe share some of their experience.

In addition, what are some software you guys would recommend for a web designer? what's a very good html editor, what are the nice tools that i need to acquire.

Finally, does anyone know of any good sites for learning the stuff i need for becoming a good web designer? sites that have tutorials and guides on html, css, or anything that might be helpful for a guy who is just getting his feet wet?

thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    HTML and CSS should be learned at the same time. HTML defines a page's structure. CSS defines its appearance.

I would learn Javascript before any Adobe stuff or .NET. Eventually, you'll learn a server-side language like ASP.NET, PHP, or JSP.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Because PHP and MySQL are so prominent and tutorials and info is
    so readily available, you should learn that too.

You mention "web designing", but in reality, "designing" and "developing"
    are two different things. Not sure how artistic you are and how proficient
    at Photoshop, etc., but graphic design is a must for "designing" the graphics
    and layouts (artwork) needed for "web design". Are you more interested in
    the actual "design" of a website, or how it works ... "the development"?

Member #
    There are also human factors issues. Usability, Information Architecture , Information Design -- and user testing.

I'm a cs graduate from johns hopkins ...
    Reason i'm asking this is that i know absolutely nothing about any of these products/technology other than html
    Have you considered a malpractice lawsuit? Seriously, this could have been a half credit hour course.

Member #
    hehe you're funny. truth is at our school we learned a lot about the more complicated stuff. database, webcrawlers, coding tcp/ip ports, java security, and the inner workings of the computer system, network system... etc etc.

it's the same with a lot of good colleges, their course works are drasticaly different than the state colleges where courses are more concentrate on one small (more specialized) aspect of computer science.

system administration, web page designing, etc

but in college, everything you learn is just the scratch on the surface. and web designing (the beginning part of it is really not all that complicated) even some highschool offer classes in it. It's only when you start getting real deep into it and bring together all the functions and capabilities that it starts to get more complex..... such as the need to learn perl for datamining, or plsql for database.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Nyquil ...

Perl is a great language, powerful server-side scripting.
    But because of it's popularity and terrific match with MySQL,
    PHP has sort of taken center stage in the web development
    world. If you know Perl, PHP will be a snap.

In fact, if you know C++, you'll even be better off.

The best thing about PHP/MySQL is the online support,
    documentation, examples, forums, etc. It's everywhere.

Pay attention to making a website that has pages that resemble
    templates ... where PHP is used to control the content, and the
    pages are dynamically generated from your "template files".
    You won't find many static HTML web pages anymore.

You will find the most frustrating part of all this ... making your web pages
    look the same in all browsers. That's the worst part of web design.

Member #
    As far as web design goes, I would first learn JavaScript after HTML and CSS, these three are the basic building blocks of any decent web site. PHP is great for utilizing databases, and AJAX is helpful to reduce the amount of client->server communication. For the design aspect you would probably need to be fairly familiar with the Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.).

C#, VB, .NET, ASP, Perl, CGI, are all useful for backend work, more for the web developer instead of designer.. But that's where the best paying jobs in web design are. It all depends on what you like doing best.

Good luck -

Remove Ads