Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I am newly back to web page building and need some input. I am studying my old and new tools (Dreamweaver, Frontpage, HTML and PHP) but it has been a long time and I want to get a site up as soon as I can. It will be a political clearing house and discussion site. If I am lucky my hosting costs will be going up and I have a limited income so I plan to have a very small membership subscription to cover costs. I also would like to add additional services at a later date for a larger subscription, so I need multiple user levels. I would like the subscription/membership to be automated. I have seen many programs that will do this at a great variation in prices. Can anyone tell me what is the least expensive program/script that will do these things? I plan to use it to get the site up and running and later modify it (when I learn how, again) so I need a program I can access and modify. I will learn any language I need for this (have studied C, C++, several basic languages, php, and assembly in the past).
    Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I'm not sure what a clearing house is, but it sounds a lot like a WordPress site to me.

You would allow people to register, but only you (the admin) could turn-on their
    registration after they pay you the subscription fee.

I think of a site like this:
    http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/

Topics and submissions are displayed, and people make tons of comments
    about each one. That whole site is done using WordPress.

WordPress doesn't have to be a blog either. And WP is free, and with some
    webhosts, they will even install if for you automatically (using Fantastico Deluxe).
    You'll just have to administer the site, come up with a way for people to pay you,
    (PayPal?) and then customize the WP theme using CSS templates. So there will
    be a slight learning curve. But the software is tried and tested .... easy, done!

Member #
    Hi mlseim,
    A clearinghouse, in this case, is a central location for contact information for representatives, text of bills, and the like. I want to include a discussion area and opinion surveys. The intent is to get people more involved in government and make government aware of people’s opinions.
    I have Wordpress MU and have spend some money and time exploring that method. I decided that another approach would be better. I do not want to look like or be like some to the sites I see that are just subscription collection engines, but the structure is closer to what I want. And I have been searching with Google and others. I have found prices for scripts/programs to set up a membership-oriented site from $0 to $5000 and more. I have found hosts that will set it up for $50 a month and up. I have a host and have paid a year. Actually I have two, but am discontinuing one. I wish to build a patriotic site for the purpose of promoting Democracy By The People, not just for the people, through people influencing their representatives in an organized manner. I hate the term lobby, but I want the people to lobby their representatives.
    Sorry I got carried away. The subject does that to me.
    So I am looking for membership site software that is modifiable and has the other features I gave. I will do it from scratch if I must but that will delay me by months and we need this not now but last year.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Well now it sounds more like a Joomla or Drupal project.

I suggest now that you use the "hire a programmer" area of this forum
    to get someone to help you start. If the person is a Joomla expert, they
    could offer some better advice (than I can) about the features you can have.
    I think that everything you want to do is "do-able" using Joomla.

Member #
    Thanks. You really have been very helpful. I was already leaning towards Joomla but I was concerned with the security problems I had heard of. I will proceed in that direction. If I find that I cannot handle the work I will look into the "hire a programmer" area.

Remove Ads