Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone,

I would just like to seek some advise if thats ok?

At the moment im twenty years old, ive got a newborn baby and im working 46 hours a week at the moment as a supervisor, so im pretty tired as of late :-p

My fianceť has just enrolled in an online ICS course which has cost her close to £600 and well i've always been interested in the whole web designing world for a while but i've got very basic knowledge of it, i think the only thing i can say im anygood at is using photoshop, and thats it :-/

All i wanna ask is, is it worth doing an online course for the whole web design industy? as i've always looked at the qualifications that the online 'universitys' offer as being a cheap alternative to the real thing, and would a potential employer recognise the qualification?, and i really dont wanna spend lots of time, money and effort on a piece of paper that will get me laughed out of any job interview i go to. but i dont wanna spend the rest of my life behind a bar doing a job i dont really enjoy.

if i do sign upto ICS these are the two courses im interested in doing..
    http://www.icslearn.co.uk/it-technic...ent/web-design

and

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/it-technic...t/ciw-designer

would these two be appropriate to be able to create a website from start to scratch including everything i need to do inside and out.

any help you can offer me is really appeciated
    thanks,

joey

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    holy cow!
    Those courses are almost $600-$1000 USD!! Each!

Although it would be nice to be instructed in a classroom setting,
    you could hire a private tutor to give you some lessons at home
    for way less money and learn just as much.

When you finish those courses, you'll know about HTML and using
    some sort of WYSIWYG web page editor ... which you should not use anyhow.
    And it looks like they might touch in some Javascripting.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Almost every website now (including the one you're looking at now), is done
    using PHP and MySQL. The websites are dynamically generated by scripting,
    not by some web page editor. Static pages are a thing of the past.

Don't waste your money. Find a person who lives in your city that can give you
    some hands-on lessons ... that can meet with you in person. Everything you need can
    be found using Google for free. You just need that tutor or mentor to give you some
    formal direction and answer questions.

Once you subscribe to a cheap webhost and learn about FTP (uploading and
    downloading files), you'll see that it's really a matter of understanding files, images,
    HTML, and scripting ... for dynamic page generation.

If I were in your city, I would give you lessons at home for $25 per hour ... one or two
    evenings a week. You would get everything AND MORE than those expensive
    courses. In 3 weeks, or about $200 later, you would totally be on your own feet.

Member #
    thanks for the reply mlseim,

yeah thats what i was afraid of lol.
    ive posted this message on a forum similar to this one in england and got a similar reply telling me that i could learn it all for free using various tutorials and a little bit of patiance.

i've had a look already for a home tutor in my city but there isnt any so really my options are either to pay for two courses i dont really need, or take your suggestion and that of the other person and teach myself and try to find somebody too direct me.

see im pretty confident in teaching myself as i've taught myself various other programs, but my only concern is that i need to teach myself all the various apps in the correct order so as not to confuse myself. so if im not being too cheeky to ask what do you think i should learn about from start to scratch?

thanks again,
    joey

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You said you know PS. That should be used for graphics only!!! Don't get caught up in designing layouts and pages in PS and exporting them to get sliced up and all that crap. Use it for graphics.

Start with html, when your comfy with that, move on to css. Then php/mysql. Lynda.com is a great resource ($25 per month). I'm using it right now to teach myself php. I'm pretty fluent with html/css, which is what you MUST learn first.

Member #
    thats awesome aeroweb
    im just installing all the different programs etc. wish me luck :P

thanks,
    joey

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Joey,

I would approach it like this:

Find a cheap webhost (one you pay for, not a free one), and open a webhost
    account with a domain name, like www.joeyash.com or UK or whatever.

Download FileZilla (for free) and learn how to use FTP to upload and download
    files from your webhost. Practice making directories, moving files, uploading
    some photos, etc.

You can use any files for practice ... it doesn't have to be HTML files.
    You'll be learning that part later.

Use your webhost control panel to learn and practice how your website files
    are layed-out, and how you can control "permissions" on files and directories.

Basically, you learn about the actual file system, storage, and layout of the
    files in your webhost account (probably on a UNIX server).

Understanding the similarities and differences between your PC "folder system",
    and your webhost "directory system" is probably the most important part of
    making websites (believe it or not). Managing HTML files, PHP files, photos,
    graphics, etc. and file paths, URL paths, etc. is the biggest problem people
    have with learning to do websites.

When you're comfortable with all of that, and have a webhost, a domain name,
    and know how to use FileZilla (FTP), come back for another lesson ... right here,
    on this forum.

jj1
    Member #
    Once you can create a website, don't forget to learn about SEO (search engine optimisation). Also, teach yourself design skills by looking at websites created by leading website designers in different countries - see what is and isn't effective, get a feel for what the moderns trends in web design are, then use the View/Source menu option to examine their source code to see how they achieved different effects.
    Good luck.

Member #
    Thanks for all your help guys, I will update you all on my status over the following weeks x x

Member #
    web design impacts usability, maintainability, search, and ultimately, the bottom line. plenty of firms are happy to sell you a visually pretty site, often fully aware it will not be able to solve your real problems.

Member #
    Thank you for the heads up on these courses!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads