Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am a newbie in website design field and am learning tools which would help me make better and attractive web sites. Can you share some tools which I should look at to make an attractive website?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Most of us do our coding all by hand.

I like using Notepad++
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Google is the other tool.
    Some people scoff at using templates, but there are some very
    nice templates (table-less CSS templates) for free. You can find one you like
    and customize it, then it becomes unique for you.

Member #
    Thanks a lot, yeah, people do scoff at using templates but when time is the issue then we do need help right!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I recommend using those free CSS "table-less" templates all the time.
    The main reason I point "newbies" to those templates, is to learn from them.

They can download the complete template and have an "instant" web page
    where they can see the XHTML, the CSS, the graphics, photos, etc. and learn
    how they all work together. It gives them a chance to mess around with the CSS
    and see how it works. It's a great learning tool for new web designer/developers.

Best of all, they can do it all "offline". If a person wants to expand the template
    into using PHP, they can simply upload it to their website and play around with it online.

Once finished, simply throw it in the trash ... doesn't cost anything.

Member #
    Hi,
    I am going to try this out and search on Google. I also mentioned in another forum what I came across while searching on google....it's called raptivity web expert that contains flash interactivities. will that be useful though....

Member #
    Yes, definitely such tools are useful. These kind of tools are useful for newbies to create attractive and interesting designs. But it depends on the kind of website you are planning to design.

jj1
    Member #
    I design a website in Macromedia Fireworks and I also use this to create my visuals / edit photos - although I believe Photoshop is way better.
    Once I've designed a website, I personally use Expression to code (some use Dreamweaver) - it gives me a choice of about a dozen or so templates which are all fully customisable. You can design by a Wysiwyg editor to start with or change the code once you get more experienced. The basic structure (master file, simple css page, default page etc) is all there for you. By the time I've finished, the resulting website looks nothing like the original template.
    For submenus, I use Opencube.
    For image galleries, I sometimes use Lightbox but this clashes with Opencube (IE6 doesn't like 2 scripts running from the head section) and so I have now developed a CSS image gallery.
    I also use different image galleries such as http://www.stockxpert.com/ If I need a texture or something, I Google "free website textures" and see which sites come up.
    If I needed a different special effect, I might Google website scripts xyz and see what came up.
    Hope this helps.

Remove Ads