Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi. I'm a super new developer.

My client is a doctor and he would like to have a website where visitors can go and store their dreams. They would be able to write their dreams, have a choice to let others view them or not, and possibly invite comments from the doctor.

What would be the simplest way to do this as I doubt I can program it myself at this point?

Install a forum? But then how would the writer make his/her post private, only to be viewed by the doctor?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-g

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    There are mods for vBulletin (at vbulletin.org) that can do most if not all of that.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    There are mods for vBulletin (at vbulletin.org) that can do most if not all of that.
    Thanks! Will look into that.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You've posted this in another part of the forum ...

http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=33080

What's wrong with those answers to your question?
    Please don't double-post questions ... it wastes our time!

Member #
    Sorry. I meant this to be a follow up question in that I wad trying to find out about privacy. But thanks for your great response to my first question..
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    You've posted this in another part of the forum ...

http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=33080

What's wrong with those answers to your question?
    Please don't double-post questions ... it wastes our time!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Drupal would probably be a better core system for this type of solution.

You could use CCK to create a content type called "Dream", and the poster / user could select whether it be published to the site, in which case other members could view and comment on the dream.

You could also augment the dream-base with other functionality in the future.

Regards,

Member #
    Thanks. I've heard of Drupal. Will investigate further per your suggestion. I'm sort of new to programming, so I'm wondering if there's a turnkey way to set it up?

Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    Drupal would probably be a better core system for this type of solution.

You could use CCK to create a content type called "Dream", and the poster / user could select whether it be published to the site, in which case other members could view and comment on the dream.

You could also augment the dream-base with other functionality in the future.

Regards,

Member #
    Hi greenpoint,

How is your forum coming along? A pretty simple, but solid solution could be developed relatively quickly. Using the open source database "sqlite" and any one of the languages out there. PHP would probably the easiest to get started with. (of course thats up for argument, Perl, Ruby, ASP, etc... would be fine as well. I mention sqlite because it gives you a pretty solid database that I've ran in production environments, and it's all stored in a file, not requiring a server. And accepts most common ANSI SQL commands. As long as the site isn't getting.. say 100,000/hits a day it will do fine. (thats a rough number). You could also do this project entirely in Server-Side JavaScript using Ejscript or Jaxer, depending on what kind of access to the server/hosting environment you have.

But I'm getting way ahead... basically you could have a solution that was comprised of 3-5 files, if not less. Do you know what sort of hosting environment the doctor has for his current website where this forum will reside? And does it have any databases or languages installed on it? Also, does it plan on future expansion, more functionality, or is this just a small tool for his patients.

I'd be glad to help you put something together. The other suggestions of Drupal and such are great, but may be overkill for what you want to accomplish. Feel free to message me with more details, and see what we can come up. Keep it simple as possible and still meet the requirements, without needing a CS degree to maintain it.

Ungus

Quote Originally Posted by greenpoint
    Thanks. I've heard of Drupal. Will investigate further per your suggestion. I'm sort of new to programming, so I'm wondering if there's a turnkey way to set it up?
    Josh

Member #
    Thanks for getting in touch. The project is moving along and when I get to the forum part, I'll get in touch. Thanks.

-gp

Quote Originally Posted by ungus
    Hi greenpoint,

How is your forum coming along? A pretty simple, but solid solution could be developed relatively quickly. Using the open source database "sqlite" and any one of the languages out there. PHP would probably the easiest to get started with. (of course thats up for argument, Perl, Ruby, ASP, etc... would be fine as well. I mention sqlite because it gives you a pretty solid database that I've ran in production environments, and it's all stored in a file, not requiring a server. And accepts most common ANSI SQL commands. As long as the site isn't getting.. say 100,000/hits a day it will do fine. (thats a rough number). You could also do this project entirely in Server-Side JavaScript using Ejscript or Jaxer, depending on what kind of access to the server/hosting environment you have.

But I'm getting way ahead... basically you could have a solution that was comprised of 3-5 files, if not less. Do you know what sort of hosting environment the doctor has for his current website where this forum will reside? And does it have any databases or languages installed on it? Also, does it plan on future expansion, more functionality, or is this just a small tool for his patients.

I'd be glad to help you put something together. The other suggestions of Drupal and such are great, but may be overkill for what you want to accomplish. Feel free to message me with more details, and see what we can come up. Keep it simple as possible and still meet the requirements, without needing a CS degree to maintain it.

Ungus

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    "But then how would the writer make his/her post private, only to be viewed by the doctor?"

I think that is not a problem: if you create a forum, visitors can write private messages to the doctor.
    I really like your idea - I'll be the visitor of your site Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads