Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im a newb when it comes to this design game. I own a website called http://www.recycleconnect.net that I bought but i'm trying to build one for my DJ business. I've been focusing on making it visually stunning and flashy and then i came accross this article I came across this article http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ps.html?cat=15 & it made me wonder what other designers felt. Do you think this is correct? Is it better to not be so flashy? Im confused now. Please help a newb at this design game out.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    All quite true, although given what your site is about, a certain amount of flashiness is appropriate. In general, less is more. The most usable sites out there are the simplest.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I've been focusing on making it visually stunning and flashy and then i came accross this article
    I find the sites trying to be stunning are merely using looks to distract from a generic message and general lack of ideas.

The excuse is the myth that people will buy from the stunning website.

Why Your Site Doesn't Need to be Pretty --- you shouldn't always presume that the most attractive version of your website is the one that will convert visitors to buyers.

There are gimmicks and then there are legitimate reasons for design decisions.

Member #
    Thank you for your replies it means a lot to me. Looking at my site I tried to have it graphically pleasing to a certain extent but my main goal was functionality because every other website that does something similar to mine online is far too confusing to use. Do you think my site is too pretty and not functional enough? I think the underlying drupal script makes it a breeze to do anything as well as for me to maintain it and the admin functions are great. I just really wanted opinions on that article, and now if I could I was opinions on my website regarding that article.

Thank you guys for being such a big help.

Remove Ads