Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay, I'm self-taught and still learning, but I really enjoy the beauty of having a basic page template for my website. This gives me the ability to change the look of my site, add a menu option, or other universal changes and not have to painstakingly perform this process for VERY webpage.
    Here is where I'm having a small issue, which is related to important SEO features for each of my webpages. It is my understanding that one of the many elements that can help raise my rankings is my web page are my webpage title tags. One articles makes the following statement: "TITLE tag is one of the most important aspect of On-Page Optimization."
    In creating a DW template, I have locked the title tag and cannot make changes to ANY of the other webpage titles. Having different title tags for each webpage, which relate to the content on that page, would certainly aid in my SEO efforts. Ideally I would like my "content rich" website to use the article content's title (headline) as my TITLE tag for that page, but I cannot do that without "detaching the template" from each of my current web pages, then inputing the desired TITLE tag for each page.
    The template portion of my web pages is through it's "working phase" and I don't anticipate any changes, but I still like having the ability to make quick and easy universal changes to a single file (DWT) and have the Dreamweaver application update ALL the webpages fast and easy.
    Is there any way to make that "TITLE" tag section of my template an "editable region?" I initially tried to do that, but it only inserted a standard "text editable region," rather than a code editable region.
    Am I just SOL?
    Thanks,
    SillyLittleBoy

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Without digging too far into it, I believe you can go into code view and place the editable region where you want.

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
    <title>Aero Web Site Design Services- Detroit, Port Huron area</title>
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

This is a snippet from my site. You should be able to use this code in place of what you have in your template. Let me know if that works for you. If not, show me what you have and I'll look into it further. As always, save a copy of your current template just in case something goes wrong when your messing around with editable regions.

Member #
    Thanks aeroweb99 (Steve)... that worked fine.
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back out here (the forum) to read your response AND to properly thank you. I just started a new job about a month ago, which has a pretty huge learning curve to it. It's a new sales job selling digital voice, data, and video equipment and services. I was NOT totally ignorant of the technology (got an AA degree in Elect/Comp Tech), but I have learned a lot about some amazing new technologies and services that are currently available and much more that is "coming soon." Fiber optics is the driver for all of these things and I learned that recent tests by NTT in Japan successfully pushed 14 trillion bits per second through a single strand of fiber AND that data rate is tripling every three months and expected to do so for the next 20 years!
    ANYWAY... thanks again for your help, it worked great! I had to make some modifications to the naming scheme for the other "Editable Regions" in my template in order to get the new region for the "title" tag to work properly or so it seemed. My EditRegions needed to be renamed, since it will help in tracking and identifying those regions going forward, especially if I add more of them. I had previously let DW name them to the default names of "EditableRegion1, ER2... etc.).
    I guess I should have studied up more on DW Templates, because I had previously thought of DW Template Editable Regions as primarily or solely being used to place and provide sections of the page content (text, graphics, objects...etc.). Now that I know I can have an "Editable Region" for HTML code, then I'll be able to work through other rather frustrating issues I had previously encounted when I often attempted my "learning" experiments using direct HTML code entry in the Code View of DW. When trying to use some new codes and/or different coding combinations (my "trial and error" method of self-education), I would often get a template error involving code locked by the template. While you can't make any changes to the template code in a web page, I think I was adding and/or using code that was tied to, referencing, or affecting locked code in the template (or something like that).
    Now that I know I CAN unlock code in the template by making that code an "Editable Region," then I should be able to resolve my previous errors and fix them going forward. Don't ask me the specifics on my "HTML coding experiments," because it's been awhile since I've done some of my "trial and error learing methods" AND I'm often using commands or strings that I've "captured" from other web sites and pages. I'm not really PIRATING anyone's HTML code, but just trying to learn - "How Did They Do That?"
    THANKS AGAIN, Steve..... AWESOME!
    John

Remove Ads