Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I am new to designing websites. I have dreamweaver and want to make a website with funny videos, pictures, flash games, and more. I do not know where to get started though. I have very limited knowledge on making websites and want to learn as much as possible. I can make basic pages with links but I am not sure how to add videos an flash games. Do I have to email the author of the video or flash game for permission to put on my website, or can I just put it on? How do I know whether or not to ask permission? Is there any other suggestions or tips that someone who is just starting out should know? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    This is one where you should find someone that can meet with you in person
    and show you how things are done. Sort of hard to explain on a forum like this.

A website is not just some HTML with a few links. It's a lot of files with server-side
    scripting involved to render pages, do searches, and handle the administration of
    uploading files, content, etc.

So using Dreamweaver is OK to create how your pages might look, but not the
    rest of your site ... how it functions. You'll be looking at a PHP/MySQL system,
    such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. A back-end program that handles all
    of the database stuff and a way for you to administer the content.

What you will have on your website is a problem too. Yes, you will be putting
    copyrighted material on your site, and I don't think it's legal or ethical unless you
    have been given permission or paid for the right to use it. I know everyone does
    it, and you could do it and there probably wouldn't be any problems, but it's really
    not something I would say you should do.

Then I ask, why?
    If you're making like a blog of your favorite stuff, that's one thing, but there are
    already ten thousand sites that have funny pictures, videos, and flash games.
    What will your site have that I can't get anywhere else? How will you get photos
    or videos that are only unique to your site? This seems like a project that has no
    real purpose. You'll learn a lot about websites and programming, but unless you
    offer something nobody else has, why spend the time on this.

My advice is to make a website, so you can learn how to do it ... but think of something
    different to do. What are you really good at that other people might want to know?
    Do you have some information to offer that can't be found easily using Google?

The best thing you'll get out of it ... learning XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL

Member #
    The main reason I wanted to make a website like this is for practice and just for my entertainment. I have a question though, do you have to learn code to make any website? What kinds of things are you limited to if you do not learn code? Oh yea, does it cost a lot of money to run a web site?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You can make a "static" web page with HTML and CSS.
    It will just be a web page. Text, photos, graphics.

The content and photos won't change unless you go in and redo the HTML.
    So it remains the same unless you manually edit the page(s).

You can make a page by hand, or perhaps use Dreamweaver.

Remove Ads