Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm in the middle of making a website to help students beat the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
    I have a ton of website-related questions, but first here's a bit of an off-topic program design one: I would like to include on my website a program that mimics the real computer-based testing experience of the TOEFL. How hard would it be to have someone design this type of test?
    Basically, the test involves four sections:
    1. READING with multiple choice questions
    2. LISTENING, which would require a way to play mp3s. Multiple choice questions follow.
    3. SPEAKING, which would integrate reading and listening and would also need a way to save recorded files from test-takers
    4. WRITING, which would similarly integrate skills and would need to save student writings to be checked
    The program needs to mimic the appearance and controls of the TOEFL (which are very basic) and should be able to save results to a database so they could be scored and reported back.
    This doesn't seem too complicated, but I know nothing about program design -- what do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    The reading part, the writing part, and the listening parts would be easy.
    It's the recording part that is hard to do.

You could use a Javascript applet to do it, but you won't find a free one to use.
    The applet is good because it downloads easy to the user's PC and it works.

See this example:
    http://www.vimas.com/wav.php

Works good, but costs a lot.

What is your budget for this project?
    I'm guessing you'll pay for a programmer, website developer, and software.

Member #
    Yep, I'm definitely going to get it professionally done.
    Don't know what the budget would be, which is why I'm posting here first. What would you approximate I'd need to spend?

Remove Ads