Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I would like to know, about the resolution. I have designed my resolution for the next resoulation which is 1280 X600. I did some reasearch a few months back and decdied to use this resolution, however when I view it on my laptop, which is 1280X800 the menu on the left hand side becomes unproportioned. Is there any way of getting around this, or do I need to have a code that tells the end user what resolution the site is based on.

Member #
    unproportioned.
    Disproportioned how? ...In relation to the rest of the layout? ...The menu itself gets bigger in size?

Resolution depends on target. Many follow usability guru Jacob Nielsen who suggests you optimize for 1024x768 but allow for larger screen resolutions.

A lot of people will discuss accessibility. Okay ...in theory. But while these guys are making your contact lens site accessible to the blind, a little bitty tidbit of information goes missing. How about figuring out who the site is primarily for, then make it accessible to them?

Now, this goes off the rails as well. Every fledgling designer has illusions about Fortune 500 clients. However, if your likely target customer is a corporate type with a large, high resolution monitor, then develop a layout option where the layout looks good for them.

In other words, how about accessibility for rich people who actually have money to buy the product or service? More designers would rather wear their heart on their sleeve than (gasp) really learn about a target customer segment. They don't know the difference between a puff control and touch UI.

That's part of the attractiveness of automatic resolution detection: you never have to think about (yucky) humans. All you have to do is learn the next gimmick.

Related:

Why browser zoom shouldn’t kill flexible layouts

Remove Ads