Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: page indexing

Member #
    i want to know how to save different pages with similar contents so that the links appear as numbers in ascending order. i.e 1 2 3 4 ...... just as it is on pages like videos sites and as it appeared on the posts page of this site, any one with an idea should help as i am desperately in need of a suggestion

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It's all done with a database, such as MySQL.

Your site would actually be 1 page.
    It then uses PHP to determine what content to display on that page.
    It's called "dynamic" web pages.

What is your site about, and what is the content?

Maybe something like WordPress might be a good thing for you to use?

Member #
    i used cirtex as my webhost, so i guess i have mysql at my disposal. Now to answer your question about the content of my site.
    it is a site that i intend to use to host videos in different categories. i.e Gospel music, hip hop ect, that just an example so i would be grateful if u could explain the process in details for me, thnx

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    The first thing is to define what type of videos you will have.

Will you be using all .flv (flash type) videos? I sort of recommend that because
    embedded flash players (like FlowPlayer) is free and very compatible between
    operating systems.

To get an example of FLV videos, see this site:
    http://www.tormented.tv

They use all .flv videos with free FlowPlayer embedded.
    They also have a cookie feature where you pick your favorite genre and
    it only shows the videos within that genre. It uses MySQL for the database,
    searches, etc.

===================

The next thing to determine is how the videos get uploaded.
    Will you be doing that yourself using FTP, or will others be uploading them?
    Or, will you be requiring some sort of admin control panel?

===================

How many videos will there be, and are there any copyright issues to deal with?

===================

Is the site open to public, or members only?
    That adds a whole new aspect to the MySQL and control panel, user profiles, etc.

===================

As you can see, this can get very elaborate, and what features you want will
    greatly change how it's done. Maybe you want to use Drupal or Joomla instead?

Explain the features you need for the video hosting site.

Member #
    Hi mlseim
    Thank for the replies so far, i really appreciate your help.
    i intend to use o upload .flv and also intend to use joomla as a site creation medium.
    I intend to have as many videos as i can get and i am gonna take care of the copyrights issues involved. The site is gonna be public, anyone who can type the url or who can click on it can view the videos.

NB: As per my main question in this post and the site you used as an example, www.tormented.com, what i wanna do is almost just like the A B C D E .... found on http://www.tormented.tv/musicvideos.php?p= so that when a visitor clicks on a character it will lead them to the category of videos they are interested in

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You'll be using Joomla, so do as much as possible using the modules and things
    that you find. Many add-on modules for video systems, etc. You'll probably end-up
    finding what you need, but later on, if you don't get back to us with your website URL
    and show us what you currently have.

I'm sure you can insert your own PHP scripting to customize any video system you
    might have. I know for sure that www.tormented.tv was scripted by hand (no Joomla),
    so I can't help you much with any of the video modules you might need for Joomla.
    (I actually know that because I helped that site owner with some PHP/MySQL scripting).

Remove Ads