Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Dear forum members,

I am working on a women fashion portal.
    I would like to know what is the recommended content to advertising ratio,one that will be appealing to advertisers but will not annoying to the readers who enter the site to read the content it provides ?

Thanks

Noam

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    An interesting question.

I don't have an answer, but this could be a good discussion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Users want the info they are looking for, at a glance. Make sure they can find it easily. Obviously, too much advertising will annoy a user. I think as long as it is not scattered everywhere, you're ok. I see a lot of sites will put most of their ads on the right hand side in a narrow column. I know what drives me crazy is when there is an ad right in the middle of written content. Use common sense. Maybe there are some studies done, but I've never run across them.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The ideal content to advertising ratio is 1-to-0.

Anything else dilutes the value of your content.

The best way to add non-intrusive advertising is to make your ads interesting. Peel backs, in-text ads, and non-intrusive Flash ads are good ways to accomplish this.

As for best %, that would definitely be a unique figure for each website.

Member #
    I think this is a testable proposition.

People will say zero. Test results repeatedly indicate opinion doesn't correlate with behavior. In other words people say they'll do one thing, then go off and do something else ...all the time.

More likely those people will have an ad block program installed and running. You think they're seeing ads -- but they're not. The percentage who block ads varies with the type of audience attracted to your site.

What determines the proportion of ads to content is most probably going to be determined by the quality of the content. Test. Test. Test. I think this is a good way to determine if you need to improve your writing and overall content quality.

Portals are notorious as using content as an excuse to force people to view ads. The "topic" is a transparent ploy, so the user instantly recognizes the site as a waste of their time ...with ads.

Unobtrusive ad formats are okay, but you'll have to provide the research which proves they are effective. Otherwise you'll find it exponentially harder to get advertisers to even bother contacting you.

Remove Ads