Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm developing a complex newspaper style theme for WordPress. I want this theme to be customizable by many users (e.g. if I made it available to download).

I'm torn as to whether or not I should go with a grid-based structure for this theme. Would that make it easier for end-users to change column widths, etc? By grid-based structure I mean something like grid960, Blueprint or this: http://www.webnicer.com/

Do grids work well on other platforms (e.g. mobile phones)? Are they considered among the best practices? If you've used grids before in a client project, how easy have they been to maintain if the client wanted to make changes later on?

Or would it be better to avoid the grids altogether?

I need your opinions, thanks!

Member #
    I think grids are good, because they limit the users to customizing in specific areas.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I was thinking. Since this will be a newspaper theme used by people who don't know much about CSS, a grid would help them to make neater changes.

Member #
    I agree.

Thinking coding and customisation wise...it would be good and easy to do. Design wise...think of what a newspaper's design is like in real life - it's extemely grid-like and ordered. That's how your site should be, that is if you want it to resemble an online newspaper.

I'm not sure how they translate to phone apps etc...I'd say as long as your coding is excellent, it shouldn't be a problem. But lets no kid ourselves here...no website is going to look really good on a phone browser unless it was designing specifically for the phone, even then it's not garanteed.

Member #
    I've used blueprint on a site and worked fine on the G1 and iphone type phones. I didn't touch the Blueprint files at all, what you do is create a seperate stylesheet and you can override any blueprint style. This makes it easy when the new version comes out you just FTP to your server and all your styles are in tact, which makes maintenance a breeze. If you're using Wordpress they have something called Themeshaper which is a Wordpress theme framework that has a bunch of grid based layouts.

Remove Ads