Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been asked to make use of Java Applets , java or flash to make the site more appealing to visitors. I have already edited a java applet to do with checkers, as the images are a transistor and a processor, I have also used alerts, as a different way on informing the uiser if they have won or lost the game.

I have added it at the end of my chaptor, but should I also add it as a games link on the homepage.

Member #
    I have been asked to make use of Java Applets , java or flash to make the site more appealing to visitors.
    Translation: We haven't the faintest idea of what interests the user to make plain old writing -- like they use in New York Times best sellers and gripping news stories -- appealing to the user ....so crank out the gimmicks.

Don't replay the 90s, learn what didn't work. And, barring the game site, games are rarely what works to make a site appealing. (Sticky was the old term they used a decade ago with games which had not one thing to do with the purpose of the site).

Finally, were games which have nothing to do with anything effective, checkers wouldn't get the job done.

Since, nineteen times out of twenty, the game shouldn't exist ...don't add the link.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Show us the site.
    Maybe we have some good ideas.

Member #
    Its only half completed. I dont have any hosting site for it,
    It is a refference site for silver surfers and others to read up about factors behind the trends, I.E why technology,computers, music and video are changing all time and what lies behind it.
    I looked at the checkers on me pc screen and it looked awfull, as when i checked it on th elaptop it was fine. I think I get rid of that one
    I had thought about test but then many people might be put off by test.
    I don';t want flashing graphics or moving cursor tails, as I want it to be accessable for many users, especially silver suefers.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I assume "silver surfers" means senior citizens?

A great site is all about content.

Most senior citizens using browsers have trouble with
    too many links, font too small, and not knowing what
    to do on the website.

Adding more "mouse" stuff is probably the worst thing you could do.

Direct them ...
    Explain in simple, large fonts, what to do on your website, and how
    to read the articles you will be providing. Provide some Flash videos
    and MP3 music from their generation, as examples of viewing music
    THEY like using modern technology.

Use your site to show them how to find information that is important to them.

Remember that most of your users will be wiser than you.
    Not with the technology, but everything else in life.

Remove Ads