Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: I need help!!

Member #
    Hi, I'm just getting started with web development. I would like to make an entertainment website and in theory at least make my living from it. I also want to create a blog.

I need in help in finding out what kind of languages I'll need. Will I need CSS and xtml?

Something else, I skimmed a book several years ago telling me that xhtml was the new thing and now I find out html 5 is the new 'en vogue' programming language.

Could you guys give me a 'course of action' in learning how to become a good programmer?

This may sound childish but this girl who created the site:

www.whateverlife.com

sort of inspired me. How a 14 year old can create a multi-milliondollar website.

What's her secret? Does she know java and javascript and stuff like that as well?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You'll need to know PHP and MySQL.
    Just about every website now using server-side scripting (programming).
    It could be ASP, Perl ... but PHP along with MySQL is the most common.

This site for example is all PHP/MySQL.

You might just want to base your site off of Drupal or Joomla and go from there.

Member #
    I wouldn't say you need to know PHP and MySQL, but it is definitely the way websites are going. You can get by with making just html websites (and throw some xml into the mix), but you won't get the interactivity those two languages bring to the table. html 5 will take an age to implement, so you don't really need to worry about that for now. Your best bet is to visit http://www.w3.org/ and just absorb all the information there. Once you get your head around that, then you can get into the good stuff like using PHP with databases. One important thing to remember, use html for displaying content only, use the css for styling it and making it look pretty.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    He wants a blog ... he has to know PHP/MySQL

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    He wants a blog ... he has to know PHP/MySQL
    Yeh PHP fair enough, I didn't pay attention to the bit where he said he wanted a blog. But still, he doesn't necessarily need to use MySQL:http://www.simplephpblog.com/

This blog doesn't use it.

Remove Ads