Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi people.

Ive been posting about a site I'm making for a course project - design your own media/design company and brand it up, and make the website. It is a webdesign course.. so all needs to be accurately done.

Im half way thru a jquery based 1 page site that - on my desktop, is really lovely to look at and took me a hell of a lot of time. There are still bugs in it which need finishing and ironing but nothing drastically wrong or too hard to overcome.

However, the running speed of it is very low, and its not brilliant for search engines.

I know now that this design is not optimum for what i want to use it for .. but it took me so long and i do think its v nice if its working properly. could i make it better?

Would removing some content from it make it run quicker? know a lot of script is in there but thats needed.. i suppose that could be tidied if i tried hard - im new - would it make a difference? Is there anything else that might make the loading and 'performance' speed of it better?

And does anyone have any tips on SEO'ing it?

theres another option.. drop this altogether and save myself the pain by telling myself ill use it as a smaller portfolio site (less pages and a few less behaviours, would that quicken it up?), and go for a more basic multiple page html site for this one.. with a few javascript tweaks.. *sigh*..

Thanks for the great help in advance as always

Emma

Oh- yeah yeah, the site URL! http://www.ameliealden.com/stf/rework

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Here's my thoughts on this ...

Yes, it's cool the way things scroll, expand, slide, etc.
    When it's working properly, yes, it's fun to play with.

But here's the REAL DEAL ...

You have a business.
    Your goal is to make money by selling your services. period.

You need to get the site visitor to your site (in the first place),
    and then they need to know what your business is about, and
    what you can offer them in 5 seconds or less. Yes, 5 seconds!

The site won't even load that fast, so you've already failed there.

I sat and waited for it to load because I already read your previous post.
    Anyone else who is looking for web design or services like yours would
    already have clicked their back button and gone to another website.

With IE8, I had some script failures that would not let me get back to
    the begining ... so I already can't tell you what the site is about.

For a javascript demonstration, you did well ...
    But for a business, you missed the whole point of having a website.

Here's the point ...
    Get people to reach for the phone and call you, or reach for their
    wallets and enter a credit card number.

My advice ....
    Put this one one the back burner for a "rock band fan website", and start
    over with the standard 4 or 5 page site ... with some jquery tweaks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks very much for the good advice - i think this has confirmed my decision, the site will be a design portfolio instead. thanks very much for your help

Emma

Member #
    You've got to see what I've done for you. Anyway, SEO is just making your site on the top search engine results. That is the main goal of search engine optimization. Along the process is very time consuming link building.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yea, other than what is Listed, ie time, and script errors, It's not really that bad.
    But to load up a little faster, you might want to try a different Template. There's A LOT of them Out there. Then start the Front Page or the so called Landing Page as just nothing more than an Intro. What you Do, How you Do it, Dedicated to Helping People, and all that Good Stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfmagno
    You've got to see what I've done for you. .
    Sorry im not sure what you mean.. what did you do for me??

Member #
    hi,
    the graphics are great, the design concept good. the architecture sucks. Based on you question, the graphics are ok, could do with some additional compression, but when I opened the source for the page the page went on and on and on.. loading maybe half the site in one page is not a good idea. I can not think of two good reasons to design a long one page site, (long hard core sales landing pages is one good reason)

the main design issues, too cramped. no white space and no visual direction to the central issues.

architecturally, it reads like a book not a web the beauty of the web is the ability to quickly drill down (not scroll through) to what is important to you (get rid of scrolling, I had to scroll to the bottom of my browser then again within your site to continue reading. ps. not sure what that box on bottom right was "you can see it whenever you like" it never did load while I was looking at it) Tool tip windows should be that, they are not good replacements for links. There is a pretty strict limit on how much information they can convey effectively. (when they do not fully display in the view port, they are really annoying. some of your's did not in fully display my browser config)

Broken into focused 300 to 700 word pages with intelligent interlinking, and you could have a real nice site. pages that end in a seemingly arbitrary place and require scrolling to finish will not cut it.
    Unless you are designing for a technical audience or a high end product buyer in the final purchase stage, you want to design in short chunks of information. To steal from the newspaper bz it is why, what and how. This will also improve the search engine results. each page will have a specific focus and interdependent keyword phases to rate the site on.

save the javascripts for the WOW factors, cool menus, gallery/portolio display, and functional processes that are tailored to the web, like tool tips to help explain design jargon like negative space.

bottomline.. drop the scroll down within one page on the site, and never return to it. ( not even for a boy band fan site .. lol ). If there is a need for a one long page, let the reader use their browser scroll bar like they are used to. Pay more attention to your information flow, white space and typography and i might buy the site from you .. lol.

pss .. I don't agree with the 5 sec rule but .. it is not like they drove 20 minutes to come to your office for a sales pitch.

Remove Ads