Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have recently completed courses in XHTML, CSS and Flash. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should go next? I'm looking into taking additional courses, but if I cannot afford to take multiple courses at once, is there a specific route I should take? As in, Javascript, or PHP or what? Especially if I wanted to get in depth regarding shopping carts or adding forms to a site and such. Just looking for advice and seeing what others think.

Thanks...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    PHP and MySQL

Everything is all about that, including this website that you're now using.

Member #
    I'd echo what mlseim says. If you really want to get into it. get a lot of books to read too. I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Dyna.../dp/0321186486
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/xml1/

The first book teaches you the hard way, hand coding and using the mysql command prompt. Best way to learn though! It will cover your form adding and shopping cart needs.

A little knowledge on graphic design will be a huge bonus too. Make your sites look good

Member #
    Awesome, thanks guys! I'll look into it. I've actually been a Graphic Designer for the past 9 years, but print isn't everything anymore, gotta know at least a little web now-a-days...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yea, PHP. But you don't need to take courses for that.
    Most is Upload then run Install Program. If you get a Template (Which you can find anywheres) everything pretty much does everything itself.
    I knew Nothing about PHP, But have been setting up a FAQ, Forum, Link Directory, Link Exchanges, and more.
    Pretty Handy and Pretty Neat.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    it depends what you want to do.
    if you want to do WEB DESIGN, keep going in courses with flash, & photoshop, html/css, if you want to do WEB PROGRAMMING (which it sounds like you do) go PHP/MySQL (this is completely free to learn,use,and create with). More advanced applications (such as businesses) usually use SQL server, and asp.net/c#.

Definitely learn about PHP first and how to read/write files, output, add numbers together, process forms. Once you're good with that. Learn about MySQL and creating databases and "SQL" (structured query language). Once you know that you can combine the 2, using PHP to access and manipulate MySQL databases (this is where the real power comes in...users, comments, shopping carts, advertising systems)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i just read that you've been a designer for the last 9 years.
    Honestly, the best thing to do is team up with a good programmer.

ive been programming for the last 5+ years (3yrs of college few years of work few years of hobby programming) and honestly i SUCK at design but I can code like a beast. its 2 different parts of the brain Im sure you struggle with code the same way i struggle with design.

not discouraging you from learning, but php/mysql is very technical and tedious at times especially when you code systems from scratch best of luck to you!

Member #
    Thanks everyone! And yes, design comes MUCH easier to me than coding! It just seems like wherever I see job postings now-a-days for Graphic Designers, more and more companies are adding web skills to the descriptions.

The web design and web programming comment was a great way to break it down for me, thanks...

To be honest, I really did have the impression that XHTML was the 'newer' way to do things as compared to HTML. At least, that's how my last instructor made it look, so I skipped right over learning it. I think I'll need to go back and and take a second look...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Questions
    Thanks everyone! And yes, design comes MUCH easier to me than coding! It just seems like wherever I see job postings now-a-days for Graphic Designers, more and more companies are adding web skills to the descriptions.
    I'm currently a student as well and had a chat with the coordinator of my school's Visual Communications department and she pointed out to me the same thing that you have found out from those job listings. She said more and more you'll be expected to do it all. You'll take the photos if they're needed, you'll do the image editing, you'll do the graphic design, and you'll make changes to the web site.

I've just started to get into some of the meatier stuff in my classes, just got done with some basic programming with C++ and Visual Basic .NET to help me understand the structure and logic behind the programming. Now when I look at Perl, etc. I recognize what's going on, just have to adjust to the syntax. Next semester I'll be getting some exposure to Networking. Got some Photography and a few Digital Imaging courses knocked out already along with a couple Web Design courses, the second of which dabbled a bit with using a database and Cold Fusion.

Like others said here, I think there is a divide between focusing on the design aspect and focusing on the development aspect which would deal with more of the behind the scenes stuff and programming.

I just recently started tinkering with PHP on my own and used WAMPServer to be able to test things on my PC without having to upload to a server.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully our brains don't turn to mush.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You should learn some good design tools like the Adobe flash and the adobe photoshop, these tools are easy to use and also easy to learn too... you can get the templates of these tools from the internet..

Remove Ads