Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Please HELP

Member #
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this sorry if not just tell me were to relocate it and i will.
    Alright so my buddy and I made a redesign E-commerce site for a local company and we are stuck on how much to bill them. This is our first "legit" business transaction. We did not log hours down so we can not charge per hour. Here is what we did and just hoping some of you could read this and give us your personal estimate.We have hand coded a flat-file database system to manage the store items and pictures as well as redesigning all of the graphics and navigation.

Original site - http://www.verobackcountry.com/
    Redesign - http://www.verobackcountry.com/test/

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Damn... this is a tough one...

1. You obviously went to a lot of trouble to build a custom system and website for these guys, but

2. You did a lot of things wrong, e.g. PHP on windows, Cart32.exe, flat-file proprietary product catalog, flash navigation, etc.

Many companies deliver Magento, osCommerce, X-Cart, VirtueMart, or UberCart websites for $1,000 to $1,500. The end result of your efforts appears to me to be less valuable than a cookie-cutter eCommerce site, because it lacks many of the standard features that a pre-built system would have (Search, newsletters, wishlists, advanced administration, etc.).

I personally wouldn't pay a dollar for the system you built. We are hired day in and day out to replace systems like this with real, functional eCommerce systems (our latest is www.givewink.com, replaced a proprietary system like yours with a Magento installation and custom design).

But that doesn't discount the fact that you did the work. I say charge $500-$750 and chock up the lost effort to learning experience. Then go learn how to install and configure Magento. :-D

Member #
    Thank you for the replay and constructive criticism and the fact you weren't a *** . Yeah we are aware that the system we build is not up to par, but its what the client wanted. The client had been using Cart32 and the windows webhost for years and she did not want to change. We had to take the flat-file approach because the servers at the hosting company don't have SQL installed. I'm actually very surprised that they had PHP running under FastCGI, even if it is PHP4. So please be aware that this was not our first choice. And have to say very nice site there.

Remove Ads