Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,
    First time poster here and web design beginner / intermediate.
    The web designer who originally created our site is long gone, and I'm going in trying to update some pages. One of the things I'm trying to do is to remove the flash files, as i understand the crawlers don't like 'em. I know how to remove the flash object, but I want to access the photos (3 of these scroll through) embedded in the flash file. If I can locate the image files, I can insert them as static images.
    I know these images must be hosted on our server (GoDaddy Linux hosting, in case that matters), but I've looked through all 8 pages of images on there, and the only file (called home_pics.html) that looks like it could contain the images I want is an HTML file. When I try to "download", all that comes up is a blank page and no photos.
    Does anyone know how I can access the discrete jpg or gif images from this HTML file?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Matt
    PS I use Coffee Cup HTML editor for FTP in case that matters...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Images in a SWF file are embedded in it when the file is compiled. To get them out, you'll have to either get the original FLA file and export them from there, or get a SWF decompiler.

Member #
    Thanks Steve, for your reply.
    I see...the images were contained in the SWF file, which I did find on the server, right next to the HTML file.
    Unfortunately, I don't have an SWF decompiler, but maybe I can track down the original FLA files, as you suggest. But I'm not familiar with FLA file...what kind of file is this? And where might I find it...should it be on our server somewhere, or would I need to track down the original developer?
    Thanks again for the guidance!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Matt

Flash is not bad for your site as long as it is combined alongside standard spider readable text.

It only becomes a big problem if all or the majority of your content is Flash based.

This is because the spiders do not (generally) read the content of the flash swf file. So if all you have is flash then the page will look blank to the search engine.

So if you have flash and it gives a good message to your visitors then keep it but include some basic readable text that conveys all the information.

This way you keep everyone happy.

Rich

Member #
    If your images arent resized you could always cheat and use Prnt Scrn

Remove Ads