Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, my name is James McCullough, and I am a student of web design at devry. I am about to get my associates next semester and the class I am in right now requires me to network within the Web Design field and not only meet some people and make friends, but also, possibly... get some informal interview questions.

Please, I know it's an inconvienience, but if you have the time, I would greatly appreciate it, however, the goal is to meet web designers as well...

Thanks...

James

Interview questions follow... Again... Thank you...

Job Related:
    What do you like best about your position?
    What kind of impact has this position had on your lifestyle?
    What advice would you give to someone just entering this career track?
    What kinds of tasks do you complete during a typical day or week?
    What types of advancement opportunities are available for entry-level candidates in this career track?

Company Related:
    What is the corporate culture of this company?
    Does the company promote or encourage continuing education?
    What types of training programs does the company offer?
    What are some of the goals of the comnpany for the next few years?

Industry Related:
    What kinds of challenges is the industry currently facing?
    Who are some of the major and minor competitors in the industry?
    Are there any likely changes that may affect the industry in the next few years?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Are you talking about "Web Design" as it relates to graphics and web page layouts,
    or are you talking about "Web Development" as it relates to programming, PHP,
    MySQL databases, and the actual operation of the web site?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Are you talking about "Web Design" as it relates to graphics and web page layouts,
    or are you talking about "Web Development" as it relates to programming, PHP,
    MySQL databases, and the actual operation of the web site?
    You can answer those questions how ever it fits you if you are in the Web Field. I am leaning more to Web Design more than Graphic Design as I take my classes, only because I am not a good artist, but I am just getting an overall feel either way. So, the questions can be for either side of the coin...
    Again, thank you...
    James

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    OK, you should get some people to take the survey.
    I don't do it for a living, so I can't answer the questions.

Member #
    Don't forget Web Devsigners...who do a bit of both :P

Member #
    I have found that being in the web design field is really strange. I'm an artist, and thousands of people see my work every day, but no one knows who I am...

For example, I actually did all of the front-end code for the DeVry website a couple of years ago (the site has changed completely since then), but there would be no way of you knowing that it was me who did it.

A main thing that I would suggest for you is to become what JasonMc calls a "Devsigner". Get experience in all aspects of the field, and you will never have a problem finding a job. I really excel in front-end programming (html, css, javascript), I design, and I know how to program somewhat (I'm actually probably better at it then I think I am).

A little while back I was laid off from my job due to cut backs. The very next day I was sitting in a job interview. after I left the interview, I got a call from the company that laid me off asking me to come back. I was the only one at the company that knew css and did that particular job.

As far as environment goes, every company is different. at many consulting companies you can wear jeans and tshirt to work, except if you have a client meeting. At large firms, or often in-house design branches, you have to dress business. It all depends on your preference. I personally will always be in consulting. You have different projects, different problems, and different people every day. In my opinion, it's never boring (except when there's no work).

does that help?
    drew beta - Portfolio, Blog500 - Graduate Studies Blog, WP4P - Blog, Life in Beta - Music Podcast for Nerds

Remove Ads