Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone. I wanted to get experts opinion on what we should do with our next website.

We are in a real estate business, apartment rentals. We want to create a site for ourselves, but also a complete 'turn key' website, which could be sold to other operators around the world, fully and completely customizable. Every imaginable aspect of it should be customizable including changes of logos, enabling / disabling of various features, etc. The idea is to sell it to our competitors or other operators in other cities.

My question is - should we hire someone to build this ground up in PHP or should we go with a CMS? All of my websites now were built ground up in PHP but I see that CMS is very popular now. If CMS - which one would be recommended for such a project?

I appreciate any feedback in advance and if any clarification is required pleas let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    There is already a ton of real estate, rental type of scripts available. It would be
    best to do a totally unique and custom application ... it would make it stand out.

It would be a tough business to get into. You would have to deal with constant patches,
    security updates, and debugging issues. I've got another idea ...

Have you thought about creating a database? You could sell an API so that others
    could access it, add to it, and use it for their own existing (or new sites). So you would
    not be in the business of selling a "turn key" script, but selling an API for access to your
    database. All you do is host and manage the database.

Your database would also include a zip code (or postal code) GPS database so the API
    could access "the nearest" to a particular location, or within a radius. Other realtors
    or landlords would be able to upload, edit, and delete their own listings on your database,
    and provide permissions to make their listings viewable to other realtors.

You would develop API features to make it easy for your clients to use your database,
    and they would pay by the month, or by the usage for access to your information.

Member #
    Hi, thanks for your answer. It seems to be a concensus that CMS is not the option for us.

API unfortunately wouldn't work for what we are trying to do, but thanks for your answer nevertheless.

Remove Ads