Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Quote

Member #
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section..

I am starting to design and build a small website (a few pages) for someone who gives life lesson workshops. She wants me to design and build the website, graphics, code etc. It won't be very big. I'm thinking of just using (x)html, css and that could be it. There may not be any javascript or php involved, but I might use some php includes. There will be no contact form. The content will most likely be mostly provided for me.

I am needing to give a quote really soon for this site, and given that this is my first paid site, then I have no idea what to charge.

Here's my background:
    I'm 17 and have been doing some webdesign stuff for about 18 montsh or so. I have a really good knowledge of html, (validated for xhtml), validated css, some photoshop skills, User Experience (UX) experiences and knowledge etc. I reckon I could tackle this one, but I'm not sure what to charge. I was thinking about $150 ish Australian, but have no idea.

Would someone be able to give me a rough figure, perhaps an hourly rate? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    For a static HTML site, how much you should charge is directly dependent on how good your design ability is.

I don't think anyone should charge $150 for a website. If you're going to go that low, you might as well give it away for free, because the work you'll do probably won't be worth anything.

If you're a decent designer, bare minimum you should charge is $500. Top designers charge $10,000+ just for design work. Even Template Monster charges approx $3,000 for a unique website design.

Have you thought about buying a TM template and modifying it with her content?

Member #
    Hmmm...as I said, I'm 17 and have just started out, so I feel like I'm ripping her off by charging $500.

I'm looking at an hourly rate, really. I"m just not sure what hourly rate to charge. What do you think? I thought of $10-15 (this is in Australian dollars).

Member #
    I've now given them a quote of $12 / hour AUD.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sounds reasonable.

Remove Ads