Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    CMS or regular coded website?

Please help, I need a website that will have 500 pages, sounds alot but 470 if them will be of the exact same layout i.e. 1 page per product with photos and description, so a template that will be replicated 470 times....

I have 2 conflicting pieces of advice from 2 different web designers...

The first is willing to create the site using regular coding and then charge an hourly fee for coding the 470 pages (after I provide the photos and wording).....

The second states that a CMS is the only way to go and if i choose the html way then I'm a fool!

1. The CMS is way more expensive
    2. The thought of the CMS scares me - I am not sure if I want that much control over the site, I will probably ruin it!
    3. Once the business is up and running I will not have time to add pages or make more than text/photo changes myself anyway!
    4. I believe that I can buy a program to help change basic text/photos on a html site...
    5. I also can't get my head around the way the CMS works... the quote I received seems to imply that for the 470 odd pages that I need, I will be adding them all on myself..... now how on earth would I know how to title them properly in a way that google likes!!

Please help, if am sooooo confused!

Thanks from fuzzledhead

Banned
    Member #
    Hey first off - CMS is the only way to go for the future. If you hire a designer later and it is done via CMS - you will pay far less for his time since it is way easier to update or create new pages. Also the CMS SHOULD BE FREE. There are a bunch of great quality CMS's for free.

Member #
    or use server side includes....

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey first off - CMS is the only way to go for the future.
    cms not now nor in the future will ever be able to do what you can by hand coding. the staement about includes is the best way to go for this. just use vars to automatically create links in the nav and automate the include so all your client has to do in the future is upload an html file to a particular folder and the name of the file becomes the name of the link and include.
    php rocks.

no offense intended.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Banned
    Member #
    cms not now nor in the future will ever be able to do what you can by hand coding. the staement about includes is the best way to go for this. just use vars to automatically create links in the nav and automate the include so all your client has to do in the future is upload an html file to a particular folder and the name of the file becomes the name of the link and include.
    php rocks.
    While I would rather use includes, do you think it is easier for someone with less html or programming knowledge to do this? Then they have to know html or some aspect unless you create a template that allows them to put the picture here, the text here, etc etc.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yes because after the structure is in place the client can use a cms such as dreamweaver to create pages then upload them. after all that is the intended use of a cms, not actually supplementing the designer but "managing the content" thus cms. just be sure you are explicit in your css naming so if they use inline css they will not clash or error out and let the client know to use inline css if they do use any.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe that I can buy a program to help change basic text/photos on a html site...
    that would be the cms software.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    with php you can also make the meta tags and titles the same as the file name or at least simplify the process, i doubt the designer using a cms will be able to accomplish any desirable SEO if they rely on a cms for design.

Member #
    Wow it is like you are all talking in another language!
    A large point is, that the cms would cost double what the html site will...........is it worth it?

Banned
    Member #
    I think what Dorky is getting down to - I would trust him most on this - is that the HTML version will be easier for you to manage, but you will want a program - Dreamweaver specifically. Let Dorky confirm this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads