Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all, and thanks for this interesting forum, I am new here, and not very good with web design just so that is said!

I run a forum that has been down for months because I cant figure out how to fix it. It is all messed up, and all links on the main page points to the old domain which was .net , now I have a .com address.

Here it is: http://www.dark-truth.com/forums/

I can not log into my manager account either since trying to log in also forwards to the old .net address.

However, it does seem like everything is intact, on my .com address, the problem being most of it except the main page is leading to the old .net site, so even the main page and background etc is displayed wrong. So, it does seem like all old files and posts and so on are stored on my new .com domain, but the problem being all links points to the old .net domain.

Is there any quick solution to fix this problem? I would actually like to copy the whole forum to a new domain I just got as I intend to shut down the old one, and the new domain is more suitable as a forum relating to the topics I have anyway.

Can I either restore the forum so everything looks and works correct on the current .com domain, or move everything over to my new domain, or both for that matter?

Any good info on how to proceed is most warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated!! I have struggled hard with this!

Thanks and cheers mates!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I think there's a way to do an automatic redirect with .htaccess

Someone on here (this forum) who knows .htaccess may be able to help.
    I'm not an expert on .htaccess

Member #
    Thanks for the tip.

Anyone with some further info on that?

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I found something ...
    But before testing, make a safe copy of your existing .htaccess file

I also think you might have a config file somewhere within your forum script
    that you didn't update. They may have asked you for your site domain name
    and you still have the old .net in that name. Look through the forum config
    files for a place where you never changed the domain name, but should have.

Normally, the domain extension shouldn't matter for links, as it already knows
    your domain name ... but that name is programmed into a config file of some kind.

Otherwise, this is a shot in the dark for changing .net to .com ....

Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^(.*)\.net$ $1.com [nc]

Remove Ads