Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am using Core FTP as I have for long time without problems.

However, now I have a problem. I am trying to download a bunch of files from one of my servers unto my computer for editing, and I select the folder with all subfolders inside it that I want transfered, and transfer it to a local folder on my PC. The progress and status bar seems fine, saying files are completed, showing the size of each individual file after transfer and so on, but yet I can not locate the files on my computer and they are not in the local PC folder I transferred to.

I did a Windows search for the files and they are nowhere to be found... What can be the trouble here and how can I retrieve these very important files? I am now trying again but it still seem to be same problem.

A note: The files in questions are forum files and I am trying to download my entire forum to move it over to a new domain. Do the "Permissions" settings have anything to do with ability to download? And if so, should it not be mentioned in the status bar that the files are NOT downloaded, yet here it says the files are complete and everything looks fine?

PS I can access my server and files from Plesk but I can not find anywhere in that interface to download files, only move or rename or create new folders etc? Is there another possibility in the Plesk webinterface?

Thanks great people!!!

Member #
    did you try putting the permissions to 777?

Member #
    Sometimes, when you try to transfer folders, the FTP client may just transfer the folder and not the files within it.

You might try creating a new folder on your local machine, then connecting to the site with the FTP client, switching to that directory and downloading 1 or 2 of the files.

If the files download, then it may just have been confused about what you wanted transferred. Then you can go back and highlight the rest of the files and download them.

Chances are the permissions refers to permissions on the server, not on your personal computer. While you can change them to 777 (read/write/execute for user, group and world), that is pretty insecure, and probably won't solve the problem.

Instead, you need to make sure that they are readable by you (700 or 600) and that you have permission to write to the directory area on your local computer.

Good luck!

Remove Ads