Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Guys!

I've come here because of a question concerning onlineshopping and ecommerce systems. I guess you're way more professional than I am and maybe you could help me. I'm terribly sorry if I'm in some kind of wrong section or anything, be kind

Well, my problem is this; my boss wants me to get an onlineshop for our upcomming website. But well... I don't know anything about onlineshops. I've looked around on the internet and found some "Onlineshop for free!"- provider...but I kinda think that this is just crap, right? Our shop should be somewhat professional and trusting. I have litte HTML skills and cannot make it myself. the ones offered by some agencys are sooo expensive. you know, it's always the same; you need the best quality for the lowest price out there :/

But well, I recently found this website, http://www.i-shop-in-shop.com, but sadly its in german so you won't understand what it's about - it's a company that offeres onlineshops for way less money than other agencys. and, plus, they have already a huge selection featured on their shops - for free. in addidion I could add our own selection.

But well - I talked to the support on the phone and they were very nice and stuff but well, they're always nice, aren't they? ;P Of course the girl on the phone wanted me to buy something... so I thought I'd better ask some pro's, right?

what do you think? should I buy this kind of onlineshop? Have you ever heard of this before? Would you buy this? If not - why not?

Thank you veery much in advance

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This similar conversation is going on in this thread:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=33922

What are you selling, and do you have connections to other people in the
    same business? You need to find out what works and what doesn't work.

Tell us more about the business, and what your boss's expectations are.
    And why you are assigned to this task without knowledge about ecommerce.

The other thread mentioned above is the same thing ...
    A person assigned to do a website to sell things, without knowledge of websites,
    PHP, MySQL, CMS, Credit Card Merchants and Gateways, etc.

Tell your boss to look at this forum and this thread ... have him/her give a good
    reason why they (the boss) can't find a professional web design/developer that
    can provide them with a turnkey system. I have no idea why this sort of thing
    is becoming a trend. Online ecommerce is serious business.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ML i think it is in part, the self help design program offerings that that lead people do believe designers are a thing of the past and a few clicks gets it done. like they are signing up for phone service or something. not realizing the reality that web is a culmination of every media man has conceived of all put together and the impossibility of push button fixes ever amounting to anything more then a good way to make your company look foolish. but thats just me.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Amaryllis,

It would be the same thing as ...
    If my boss handed me the keys to his car and told me to take it into my garage
    and re-build his transmission. Knowing nothing about transmissions, I would go
    online and find a forum where I could find out how to do it. Either it would take
    me a year to learn all I need to know about transmissions, or his car would not be
    running anymore. Wouldn't he be better off to pay more, and hire an expert?

Member #
    Hi, you might want to check out the "GoStore" script from iscripts. Here is is the page: http://www.iscripts.com

Its basically a webstore in a box.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The best I have found is from http://www.kryptronic.com/

I use a UK version from ClickCartPro which works really well. The SEO aspects are great which has helped us to get page 1 results on Google for some of our main keywords.

It is also easy to customise, So you can make it look just like you want.

Rich

Member #
    Easy to install is good. Secure is good. Cheap could, conceivably and with a little imagination, also mean a bargain (although that's not the way to bet).

But allowing someone to buy isn't ecommerce.

"Cart" software isn't necessarily a cart that supports shopping behavior.

It's a nice assumption that you'd expect anyone with two brain cells to rub together to get. Unfortunately, developers don't get that. Most carts aren't modeled on the shopping cart and don't support shopping -- they only support the transaction at the end.

Rather than "stores" as you know them in the physical world with visual merchandising and deep levels of applied sales psychology, the vast majority of snap-on carts are based around the vending machine model. Even print catalogs apply exponentially more thought about the shopper than cart developers.

Which is fine if you have an ocean of rabid buyers who would just as soon crawl over broken glass just to shove money into your hands. But the reality is different.

You don't want the software that is cheap, easy to install, secure ...and gets you fired because that's all it is. You want something that lives up to the name ecommerce. Do not limit yourself to what you can slap up in the time available and technically complies with what your boss asked for without actually accomplishing anything.

It is completely possible to add a cart to a site that isn't about generating sales and ...not generate sales. Too often the concern is putting the "cart" before the horse, then throwing away the horse.

You want to make absolutely sure your site drives a sales process, not merely allows the transaction at the end.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well, it is recommended that you must hire an Ecommerce we design company so that they can make your website related to your online company because they know very well how to manage these tasks...

Member #
    .co.cc free domains come with the option of a second free domain, which is .cc.cc and contains a shop-based website which you can edit to your own liking, plus you get a free domain and host! Personally, it's not for me but maybe it'll be great for what you are looking for.
    Register a free co.cc domain and cc.cc shop at http://co.cc

Thanks and good luck!

Remove Ads