Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Galleries

Member #
    I need some assistance. I want to put a gallery on a website im working on but i cant seem to find a good one. I have used lightbox but i dont want to use it on every site i do. So im looking for a photogallery that i can just put on my site and make it look like it is part of the site like lightbox. Anyone have any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You could find a free Flash gallery. One that uses an XML file as the "database"
    for the photos. There are some free ones, or better yet, hire someone to make
    a customized Flash Gallery for you (utilizing XML). It would be unique to you only,
    and probably the best way other than Javascripting, AJAX, etc.

Member #
    Is it hard to learn how to make Galleries, because if i was going to have a gallery made for a website, i would want to make it myself, so i would have to learn to do it.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Well, learning Flash will take a long time, and require the Flash editing software,
    but ... if you want unique websites, and the ability to offer your clients some
    custom applications, you might want to learn Flash. In the long run, it would be
    cheaper than hiring someone to do the Flash.

There are some existing "scriptaculous" javascript galleries ... mostly based on
    JQuery (the same thing as lightbox). And probably some CSS/Javascript types of
    galleries. Google would be the place to search.

I think that more thought and development should go into the database part,
    where your clients log-in and use an admin page to upload/edit/delete photos
    themselves ... and your galleries are all driven by PHP and a MySQL database.

How those galleries are displayed is merely the "eye-candy" (design) part of it.

You didn't post this in the PHP section of the forum.
    Have you developed a gallery database that you can offer your clients?
    Doing them all by hand (using static HTML) is not the way to make a gallery.

Member #
    Well i do all the editing, all the uploading everything, because my clients dont understand how to do any of it so they put it all in my hands and then i take it from there. Im new to this whole web design thing i just started teaching myself at the end of septemberish. I only know CSS/ html. i do know that there are TONS more to learn, but the CSS/html will at least get a basic site up. Im by far no pro but these are 2 of the sites i have done so far.

www.sumasmountainbandb.com

and

this next one im still working on got to get all the kinks out of it and finish the pages.

www.dynamic-dancebc.com

i have my own site that im having problems with. so im working on trying to fix it.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    So on the dance site, the schedule and news items are all edited by hand?
    That seems like a lot of work, and it has to be done a lot?

The year passes quickly, and they have to email you for every single change?

That's the point of using even a simple CMS (content management system),
    where you give the clients the "special online pages" so they can take care
    of the content themselves ... and that allows you to move on to other things.

The CMS could be as simple as your client using simple text files to create the
    "news section", and they go to a special web page to make edits ... bang!
    it's updated immediately on the website. They do it themselves, online.

You don't need to use MySQL or any type of database, and it's rather simple.
    You do need to use .php as your page extensions (instead of .html), well,
    technically you could use .html if you choose to (that's a different topic).

I just feel bad that you'll be "married" to their website forever by having
    then rely on you for site changes ... and now, you have 2 "husbands" to deal with.

Member #
    That sounds really complicated lol. At the moment i dont have to may jobs so i dont mind doing the updates and such. She emails me once a weekish if there is news to put on there. I guess i should learn how to do the page thing for them to edit on there own.

Remove Ads