Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Gday, newb

Member #
    Hi,

New to Web design and want to know which programs are easy to use and the name of some. I will check ebay for these.

dingdong

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I guess Dreamweaver would be the best.
    If you want to dive into making web pages, you really don't need to buy anything.
    You can use Notepad to do them all by hand. Then you use FileZilla (free FTP program)
    to upload your files.

Member #
    Thanks but does Notepad have the accessories and different applications that Dreamweaver has?

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Obviously not. Notepad++ has decent code coloring features however.

The point is, if you're just starting getting into web design, learn the basics first. Don't depend on Dreamweaver or programs like it, because they add a lot of excess code, and you need to understand the code itself and know what can stay and what can go.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    ok, but if I put a website up I dont want to have to do it twice when I get better at it later.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong
    ok, but if I put a website up I dont want to have to do it twice when I get better at it later.
    That's why you practice before, and then only start doing pro stuff when you're good.

I've got Dreamweave CS4 but I reckon it's way overrated. Get [free] Notepad++ and Fizella and you'll be right to go for a while. Getting a graphics editing program such as Photoshop or a cheap equivillent is a great step as well, but the main thing is that yoiu need to learn the code, not use a WYSIWYG editor.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What are your goals? are you looking into doing websites for others, or are you just looking into building and maintaining your own (personal/business) site. If you are looking at a career, start learning how to write your own code right now. Learning the base technologies will give you complete control. If you're just playing around, then there is tons of free software out there for you to utilize. All you have to do is look around. You could also just use a blog (engine/service) to get going.

Don't worry too much about re-doing work, it's going to happen. I don't know your background in design, but from my experience as a designer I'm never really 100% satisfied with a site for more than a year. I'm constantly redesigning my sites.

Let us know your goals, and we can maybe give you better recommendations.

Member #
    Like aligatortek said, I would look at what your needs are and why you want an editor.

Dreamweaver is what I recommend to people who want to get into Web Design as a profession. It's a professional level tool with lots of features and support for building large, complicated websites.

I recomend Komodo Edit for developers. It's free, and it supports lots of different programming languages. But if you don't know HTML, it provides very little help.

Notepad++ is a popular editor on my site as is CoffeeCup HTML. If you're on a Mac, BBEdit is a well-known HTML editor (but not WYSIWYG) and Sandvox is getting a lot of buzz. Kompozer is a good free WYSIWYG editor.

Good luck!

Remove Ads